Wednesday, May 7, 2014

What God Wants. Psalms 50-51; First Thessalonians 5

May the mumbling commence!

What does God really want from us?  It is a question that we have looked at before.  Let’s look at a couple of passages.  The first is from Psalm Fifty:

"O my people, listen as I speak. 
     Here are my charges against you, O Israel: I am God, your God! 
I have no complaint about your sacrifices 
     or the burnt offerings you constantly bring to my altar. 
But I want no more bulls from your barns; 
     I want no more goats from your pens. 
For all the animals of the forest are mine, 
     and I own the cattle on a thousand hills. 
Every bird of the mountains 
     and all the animals of the field belong to me. 
If I were hungry, I would not mention it to you, 
     for all the world is mine and everything in it. 
I don't need the bulls you sacrifice; 
     I don't need the blood of goats. 
What I want instead is your true thanks to God; 
     I want you to fulfill your vows to the Most High. 
Trust me in your times of trouble, 
     and I will rescue you, 
     and you will give me glory." (Verses 7-15)

God does not want sacrifice.  The Lord wants obedience.  Do the right thing.  Do the godly thing.  Be true to your Father in heaven.  Trust in the Lord.  Give God the glory.

And you will be saved.  Read now from Psalm Fifty-one:

You would not be pleased with sacrifices, or I would bring them.
If I brought you a burnt offering, you would not accept it. 
The sacrifice you want is a broken spirit.
A broken and repentant heart, O God, you will not despise. (Verses 16-17)

What sacrifice is acceptable?  The psalmist tells us that a broken spirit and a broken and repentant heart is the sacrifice God looks for.  So, it is NOT about pointing fingers.  It’s about taking responsibility for our own sins, as hard as that is.

We are woefully broken before the Lord.  But, there is another way.  Read from First Thessalonians chapter five:

But let us who live in the light think clearly, protected by the body armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.  For God decided to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us.  He died for us so that we can live with him forever, whether we are dead or alive at the time of his return.  So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing. (Verses 8-11)

Our armor for this change of ways is faith and love and confident hope.  Our salvation is secure.  We no longer need to be tied up with our sins of the past, present or future.  We can serve the Lord as we serve God’s children.

What an encouragement!  Let us build one another up with this Good News!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out


No comments:

Post a Comment