Saturday, May 17, 2014

Contentment in God. Psalms 73-74; First Timothy 6

May the mumbling commence!

Just when I think I know it all, then life throws me a curveball.  And I realize how foolish I’ve been.  To God, we must seem like foolish animals… like sheep.  We need the council and guidance of the Great Shepherd, Jesus.  Read from Psalm Seventy-three:

Then I realized how bitter I had become,
how pained I had been by all I had seen
I was so foolish and ignorant
I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you
Yet I still belong to you;
you are holding my right hand

You will keep on guiding me with your counsel,
leading me to a glorious destiny
Whom have I in heaven but you?
I desire you more than anything on earth. 
My health may fail,
and my spirit may grow weak,
but God remains the strength of my heart;
he is mine forever. (Verses 21-26)

Life has a way of making us bitter and of showing us great pain.  Hindsight – which is always twenty-twenty – tells us again and again how foolish and ignorant we have been.  The one thing that we learn from history is that we do NOT learn from it.  It’s no wonder that God compares is to sheep – dumb and directionless animals that are stubborn and willful.

Yet we belong to God.  God still claims us and holds our right hand – to comfort us and guide us and lead us to the glorious destiny that the Lord has always planned for us.  So God is our greatest and only true desire.  Nothing or no one else will do.

All other things and people will fail us eventually.  Even our health will atrophy and waste away with time.  Yet God’s strength in our heart of hearts is what gives us hope and courage to continue.  We are God’s forever.  Nothing can change that but a willful break from the Lord that we do.

So, let’s be content with the Lord.  Read from First Timothy chapter six:

Yet true religion with contentment is great wealth.  After all, we didn't bring anything with us when we came into the world, and we certainly cannot carry anything with us when we die.  So if we have enough food and clothing, let us be content.  But people who long to be rich fall into temptation and are trapped by many foolish and harmful desires that plunge them into ruin and destruction.  For the love of money is at the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows. (Verses 6-10)

Contentment in having our needs met is great wealth.  It leads to great joy.  Those who chase after the almighty dollar find themselves perpetually unhappy and bitter.  

Which will we choose?  I would like to say the former, but the latter is what is preached from every commercial that bombards us daily… hourly.  May we find the Way to live in this world as resident aliens looking forward to the coming Kingdom of God. 

Enough mumbling for now… 


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment