Friday, May 2, 2014

Interconnected & Contagious. Psalms 37-38; First Thessalonians 1

May the mumbling commence!

We are integrated beings.  Though we may think of our physical health and our spiritual health and our emotional health individually, they are interconnected.  Dis-ease in one area will cause dis-ease in the others.  Read the words of King David from Psalm Thirty-eight:

Because of your anger, my whole body is sick;
my health is broken because of my sins
My guilt overwhelms me—
it is a burden too heavy to bear. 
My wounds fester and stink
because of my foolish sins
I am bent over and racked with pain.
My days are filled with grief
A raging fever burns within me,
and my health is broken. 
I am exhausted and completely crushed.
My groans come from an anguished heart. (Verses 3-8)

There can be no doubt.  Physical health and spiritual health and emotional health are not isolated.  Sin and a broken body often go together.  Wounds will fester and stink.  Pain will be a constant companion.  Fever will rage and energy will ebb.

But, all of this being said, it is not right to equate all disease with a spiritual root.  Sometimes pain and fever and wounds exist with no spiritual root.  That, though, does not mean there is no connection.  To swing too far in either direction would be to miss the mark.

As in many other things in life, balance is key.  With a proper and healthful balance in our lives, we will be a beacon for Christ to the people around us.  Read from First Thessalonians chapter one:

And now the word of the Lord is ringing out from you to people everywhere, even beyond Greece, for wherever we go we find people telling us about your faith in God. We don't need to tell them about it, for they themselves keep talking about the wonderful welcome you gave us and how you turned away from idols to serve the true and living God.  And they speak of how you are looking forward to the coming of God's Son from heaven – Jesus, whom God raised from the dead. He is the one who has rescued us from the terrors of the coming judgment. (Verses 8-10)

Such a healthful balance is hard to create and maintain, but, when we do, the effects are contagious.  Yes, Christians become contagious.  They help to bring other people to Christ.

Are we contagious Christians?  Let us seek to be with all our heart and mind and soul and strength.  It is the way of love.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment