Sunday, May 11, 2014

God Our Mother. Psalms 58-62

May the mumbling commence!

Happy Mother’s Day!  When I think of my mother, I think of a place of security and protection and comfort.  Most of the time, we think of our God as Father.  But there are attributes of God that align just as well with motherhood.  Read from Psalm Sixty-one:

From the ends of the earth, I will cry to you for help,
for my heart is overwhelmed.
Lead me to the towering rock of safety
for you are my safe refuge,
a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me. 
Let me live forever in your sanctuary,
safe beneath the shelter of your wings!         
Interlude (Verses 2-4)

God is a towering rock of safety, a place of refuge in the raging storms.  Yes, God is a fortress, a mighty fortress.  Now, I ask myself a question:  Who did a run to for protection and safety and comfort when I was young?  I ran to my mother.

Yes, God is like a mother hen gathering her chicks under the safety of her wings.  There we find shelter.  Let’s thank God our Mother.

Themes of refuge and safety are prevalent in the Psalms.  Just look at the ones I noticed in the five Psalms (58-62) that I noted:

But as for me, I will sing about your power.
I will shout with joy each morning because of your unfailing love.
For you have been my refuge,
a place of safety in the day of distress. 
O my Strength, to you I sing praises,
for you, O God, are my refuge,
the God who shows me unfailing love. (Psalm 59:16-17)

There is great power and strength to be found in unfailing love – the love of a mother.  Read on:

I wait quietly before God,
for my hope is in him
He alone is my rock and my salvation,
my fortress where I will not be shaken. 
My salvation and my honor come from God alone.
He is my refuge,
a rock where no enemy can reach me. 

O my people, trust in him at all times.
Pour out your heart to him,
for God is our refuge.
Interlude (Psalm 62:5-8)

Is there any doubt?  God is the place to run to in times of distress.  God is a place of comfort and safety and refuge.  That sounds like my mother to me!

With God our Mother at our side, we can wait quietly… if not patiently (waiting well).  With God our Mother at our side, we can stand firm in our conviction.  With God our Mother at our side, we can trust and pull out a fullness of the unfailing love that we receive from Her.  For we have  hope in Her!


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment