Thursday, May 15, 2014

Seeking Spiritual Fitness. Psalms 69-70; First Timothy 4

May the mumbling commence!

Often times, living the godly life is all about proper perspective and attitude.  If we get our perspective and attitude into a godly place, then the rest will follow.  Read Psalm Seventy:

Please, God, rescue me!
Come quickly, Lord, and help me. 
May those who try to destroy me
be humiliated and put to shame.
May those who take delight in my trouble
be turned back in disgrace. 
Let them be horrified by their shame,
for they said, "Aha! We've got him now!" 
But may all who search for you
be filled with joy and gladness.
May those who love your salvation
repeatedly shout, "God is great!" 
But I am poor and needy;
please hurry to my aid, O God.
You are my helper and my savior;
O Lord, do not delay!

Do you see yourself as poor and needy?  Too much in our culture preaches to us self-reliance.  I will look out for number one – myself.  All other considerations are thrown aside.

That is not the way to be.  That kind of attitude will lead to destruction of life.  That kind of attitude will delight in the trouble of other people.

Let’s put that way to the side and search for God.  We are promised that we will be filled with joy and gladness if we do.  What joy and gladness have we ever found when we were looking out only for ourselves?  None, I tell you.

Let’s remember that we cannot make it on our own.  We are interdependent on one another.  My welfare is tied up in yours.  Our welfare is tied up with the poorest and most vulnerable people.  And, yes, our welfare is tied up in our enemies – those who seek to destroy and humiliate us.

With this in mind, it is easy to see that I am poor and needy.  I need a savior.  Jesus is that Savior.  I love that salvation that I have claimed for myself.

God is great!  Hurry to our aid and deliver us.  Do not delay.

So, let’s waste less time majoring on the minors of our faith.  Let’s seek our spiritual exercises together so that we may grow spiritually strong in Christ Jesus.  Read from First Timothy chapter four:

Do not waste time arguing over godless ideas and old wives' tales. Spend your time and energy in training yourself for spiritual fitness.  Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and the next.  This is true, and everyone should accept it.  We work hard and suffer much in order that people will believe the truth, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people, and particularly of those who believe. (Verses 7-10)


Yes, it’s true that our country is physically unfit – obese and unhealthy.  The same can be said for our spiritual fitness.  Time to train together through Scripture, song, prayer, fellowship and fasting.   

Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment