Friday, May 20, 2011

Testify! Ps 50

May the mumbling commence!

God testifies numerous times against Israel in the Hebrew Bible.  Does God testify against us in the same way?  Today’s reading includes Psalm 50.  Read this passage from Psalm 50:7-15 –

"Hear, O my people, and I will speak, O Israel,
and I will testify against you: I am God, your God. 
 I do not rebuke you for your sacrifices or your burnt offerings,
which are ever before me. 
I have no need of a bull from your stall
or of goats from your pens, 
for every animal of the forest is mine,
and the cattle on a thousand hills. 
 I know every bird in the mountains,
and the creatures of the field are mine. 
 If I were hungry I would not tell you,
for the world is mine, and all that is in it. 
Do I eat the flesh of bulls
or drink the blood of goats? 
Sacrifice thank offerings to God,
fulfill your vows to the Most High, 
and call upon me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you will honor me."

God called out to Israel: “I am God, your God.”  They needed the reminder, apparently.  Sometimes, as I read the paper and watch the evening news, I wonder – do we need a reminder, too.  Sometimes, I look at how I spend my money and my time, and I think – I need a reminder that the Lord is my God.

I may tithe, but God does not need my money.  Everything in all creation is the Lord’s already.  I may come to the Lord feeling guilty, but the Lord does not need my guilt.  I may volunteer at church and at worthy organizations, but the Lord desires more.

What does the Lord desire?  The Lord desires an attitude of gratitude.  Give thanks unto God.  The Lord does not want out guilt and contrition.  The Lord wants us to fulfill our vows and obey His Word.  God desires for us to call on Him in our days of troublenot on anything or anyone else.  If we do these things, we will honor God.  We will show the world that we are God’s children.  We will proclaim with our attitudes, words, and actions that the Lord is our God.

And make no mistake about it – God will deliver us unto eternal life.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment