Tuesday, May 17, 2011

More Tools for Construction; 1 Chron 28-29; 1 Kings 1

May the mumbling commence!

In 1 Chronicles 28, there is a second caveat for being a peaceful person.  There is a second caveat for what materials are to be used to build a temple for the Lord.  Read 1 Chronicles 28:2-3 –

King David rose to his feet and said: "Listen to me, my brothers and my people. I had it in my heart to build a house as a place of rest for the ark of the covenant of the Lord, for the footstool of our God, and I made plans to build it.  But God said to me, 'You are not to build a house for my Name, because you are a warrior and have shed blood.'”

Again there are two different ideas for building materials for the temple of the Lord.  The more important of the two is the rejoinder to be careful to follow all the commands of the Lord your God (verse 8).  Another important building material is acknowledging that the Lord is King and seeking and serving Him with wholehearted devotion (verse 9).  Do not be afraid or discouraged, but be strong and courageous and do the work the Lord puts before you (verse 10; 20).

Then, 1 Chronicles 29 adds to these raw materials.  Be a willing and cheerful giver.  Read 29:3 –

Besides, in my devotion to the temple of my God I now give my personal treasures of gold and silver for the temple of my God, over and above everything I have provided for this holy temple.

David gave far beyond a tithe.  David sacrificed some of his personal treasure – some of his luxuries – to build a temple.  And the people followed David’s example.  They, too, gave willingly.  Everyone rejoiced.  And David put words to their rejoicing.  Read them from 1 Chronicles 29:10b-14 –

"Praise be to you, O Lord, God of our father Israel,
             from everlasting to everlasting. 
Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and the power
            and the glory and the majesty and the splendor,
for everything in heaven and earth is yours.
Yours, O Lord, is the kingdom;
you are exalted as head over all. 
Wealth and honor come from you; you are the ruler of all things.
In your hands are strength and power
to exalt and give strength to all. 
 Now, our God, we give you thanks, and praise your glorious name.
     But who am I, and who are my people, that we should be able to give as generously as this? Everything comes from you, and we have given you only what comes from your hand.

We give generously because it all belongs to the Lord, the Great Creator.  In many ways, this psalm reminds me of the Lord’s Prayer.  Exalt God!  Come to Him for your daily bread.  Praise Him!  Remember:  This is prophecy.

And, in case we forgot, we are reminded in verse 19 that our wholehearted devotion is required.  Keep the commands, requirements, and decrees.  Then, we will be well on our way to following in the footsteps of Jesus the Christ.  We will be well on the way to constructing a temple for the Lord.

And we must construct together.  There is no room for prima donnas, like Absalom or Adonijah (1 Kings 1).  Red flags should go up when someone wishes to seize leadership.  It is for God to choose not us.

Enough mumbling for today…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment