Monday, May 23, 2011

The Best Architect and Source of Security; Ps 127, 1 Kings 6

May the mumbling commence!

Unless the Lord builds the house, the people labor in vain.  Read a psalm of Solomon, Psalm 127:1-2 –

Unless the Lord builds the house,
its builders labor in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
the watchmen stand guard in vain. 
In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat –
for he grants sleep to those he loves.

Early to rise and late to bed – it’s the mantra of US greed.  I will outwork you at all costs.  I will make myself independently wealthy.  I will build a mansion and buy the best security system money can buy.  But, unless the Lord watches over me, I am doomed to failure.  I will lose sleep rather than sleep well.  So, how do I get the Lord to build and watch over my house?  I look to 1 Kings 6:11-13 –

The word of the Lord came to Solomon:  "As for this temple you are building, if you follow my decrees, carry out my regulations and keep all my commands and obey them, I will fulfill through you the promise I gave to David your father.  And I will live among the Israelites and will not abandon my people Israel."

If I labor at maintaining a relationship with the Lord by obeying His commandments, decrees, and regulations; then the Lord will live in, build, and watch over my home.  It will mean resting in the Lord – no more early to rise and late to sleep.  It will mean forgetting any dreams of wealth at the expense of my health or the health of my family or the health of those around me.  It will mean living within my means so that I can bless others with the blessing that the Lord has given me.  It will mean putting my trust in the Lord rather than a home security system.  It will mean restful nights.

Now that I think about it, why would I ever choose differently?  May I choose to labor by the side of my Lord.  May I choose to rest in the watchful care and love of my Lord.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment