Wednesday, May 4, 2011

In God We Trust; Ps 44, Ps 20

May the mumbling commence!

In God we trust?  Is that true?  Who do we run to when everything seems to be coming down around us?  For David, it was more than a motto written upon currency; trusting God was a way of life.  Trusting God was also a way of facing death.  Note the words contained in Psalm 44:22 – “Yet for your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”  That sounds like ignoble end!  Are we ignorant like sheep that blindly follow and trust our Shepherd?  Though it is not very flattering to us, we should have such faith in the care of our Great Shepherd – even when all the circumstances seem to belie the fact.

There is no one or nothing better to place our trust in.  Read David’s words from Psalm 44:4-8 –

You are my King and my God, who decrees victories for Jacob. 
Through you we push back our enemies;
            through your name we trample our foes. 
I do not trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory; 
but you give us victory over our enemies,
            you put our adversaries to shame. 
In God we make our boast all day long,
            and we will praise your name forever            Selah  

Selah might be a musical term and may have signified an interlude.  We should pay careful attention to the words that precede Selah in the Psalms.  Those words are worthy of our attention.  There is only One that is worthy of our boasting.  We should not boast about our accomplishments or the tools that make our success possible.  David did not trust or boast in his bow or sword – nor did he boast in his prowess in handling either of these weapons.

Neither should we boast in the tools of our trades or our skill in using the tools.  I will not boast in my word processer or my computer or my pen.  I will not boast in my typing speed or my hand writing or my use of words.  God is the only one worth boasting about.  God, my awesome Creator, created me with a sense of creativity as well.  All I have and all I do comes from the Lord.

May I trust in God to give me victory over my enemies.  May I put my enemies to shame with my love for them.  May God use me to transform my enemies into friends and brothers.  May God use me to transform challenges into opportunities to praise the name of my Lord forever.  In God I trust.  Can we trust in God?  With God, we stand on firm ground.  Read Psalm 20:6-8 –

Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed;
he answers him from his holy heaven
with the saving power of his right hand. 
Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
            but we trust in the name of the Lord our God. 
They are brought to their knees and fall,
            but we rise up and stand firm.

If we trust in God, let us put our money where our mouth is.  Let us invest in sustaining life rather than destroying it.  Let us invest in humanity.  Good investments can lead to understanding and unity.  Good investments in humanity will undo the brainwashing that leads to hatred and enmity.  Good investments will multiply love and allow the light of Christ to shine through everyone.

Let us invest in the beautiful creation that surrounds us.  Let us know when enough is enough.  Help us to share and not hoard – food, clothing, shelter, knowledge, influence, and even ourselves.  These investments will sing loudly praise to the Lord.  These investments will clearly state to all who will listen, “I trust in God; we trust in God.”  Let us take this journey together.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment