Monday, September 8, 2014

Self-Awareness Key to Growth in Christ. Ezekiel 28-29; John 5

May the mumbling commence!

Coming to know our Lord – it’s important stuff.  The many judgments of God recorded in Ezekiel (and the other prophets for that matter) are to bring the people to know that God alone is the Sovereign Lord.  Read a verse from the end of chapter twenty-nine:

"And the day will come when I will cause the ancient glory of Israel to revive, and then at last your words will be respected. Then they will know that I am the LORD." (Verse 21)

The great I Am speaks to us through many ways that include our experiences of judgment and mercy.  These ways are a strong call to know the Lord in a deep way… and to allow yourself to be known.  It’s an exercise in self-awareness.  It’s kind of like the self-awareness that Jesus called the spiritual leaders of his day to cultivate.  Read from John chapter five:

"If I were to testify on my own behalf, my testimony would not be valid.  But someone else is also testifying about me, and I can assure you that everything he says about me is true.  In fact, you sent messengers to listen to John the Baptist, and he preached the truth. 
But the best testimony about me is not from a man, though I have reminded you about John's testimony so you might be saved.  John shone brightly for a while, and you benefited and rejoiced.  But I have a greater witness than John – my teachings and my miracles. They have been assigned to me by the Father, and they testify that the Father has sent me. 
And the Father himself has also testified about me. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face, and you do not have his message in your hearts, because you do not believe me – the one he sent to you. 
You search the Scriptures because you believe they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!  Yet you refuse to come to me so that I can give you this eternal life.” (Verses 31-40)

The intentions and heart of the spiritual leaders were good, but they were being blinded by their own agendas.  We are not much different today.  We have the Word of God to direct us, but we pick and choose which Scriptures we will hold close and which Scriptures we do our best to forget.

All Scriptures point to Jesus.  All Scriptures must be read in the light of his life.  Let’s be honest in doing so.  Then, we may discover where we truly are and how to get where Jesus desires us to be.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment