Saturday, September 13, 2014

For the Sake of God's Holy Name. Ezekiel 36-37; John 9

May the mumbling commence!

Let’s rejoice in the salvation God has worked for us.  But let’s not get caught up in the thought that we are saved through our own efforts or worth.  God saves us for God’s own honor.  For the children of God, there is salvation… or God’s promises mean nothing.  God cannot and will not go back on the Word of the Lord.  Read from Ezekiel chapter thirty-six:

"Therefore, give the people of Israel this message from the Sovereign Lord: I am bringing you back again but not because you deserve it. I am doing it to protect my holy name, which you dishonored while you were scattered among the nations.  I will show how holy my great name is – the name you dishonored among the nations. And when I reveal my holiness through you before their very eyes, says the Sovereign Lord, then the nations will know that I am the Lord.  For I will gather you up from all the nations and bring you home again to your land
Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean. Your filth will be washed away, and you will no longer worship idols.  And I will give you a new heart with new and right desires, and I will put a new spirit in you. I will take out your stony heart of sin and give you a new, obedient heart.  And I will put my Spirit in you so you will obey my laws and do whatever I command.” (Verses 22-27)

Gather us, O God.  Bring us home to Your Kingdom.  Do these things for the sake of Your Name.  Help us to be obedient to You.  Grant us Your Holy Spirit so that we might follow you aright.

Protect us from being blinded by our own conceptions of the way things are.  Open our eyes to the movement of Your Spirit in the world around us.  May we not be like the religious elite of Jesus’ day who refused to see and didn’t recognize their own spiritual blindness.  Read from John chapter nine:

When Jesus heard what had happened, he found the man and said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" 
The man answered, "Who is he, sir, because I would like to." 
"You have seen him," Jesus said, "and he is speaking to you!" 
"Yes, Lord," the man said, "I believe!" And he worshiped Jesus. 
Then Jesus told him, "I have come to judge the world. I have come to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind." 
The Pharisees who were standing there heard him and asked, "Are you saying we are blind?" 
"If you were blind, you wouldn't be guilty," Jesus replied. "But you remain guilty because you claim you can see.” (Verses 35-41)

So let’s open our eyes to the bountiful mercy and grace the Lord has extended to us in our salvation.  Let’s open our eyes and rejoice in what God has done for us.  The Lord has not given us what we deserve… that’s mercy.  The Lord has given us what we do not deserve… that’s grace.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment