Sunday, September 14, 2014

All We Need is the Lord. Ezekiel 40-44

May the mumbling commence!

All we need is the Lord.  We are the priesthood of believers.  All we need is the Lord.

O God, purge from us all idols – all things that come between You and us.  Let’s read from Ezekiel chapter forty-three:

Then the Spirit took me up and brought me into the inner courtyard, and the glory of the Lord filled the Temple.  And I heard someone speaking to me from within the Temple. (The man who had been measuring was still standing beside me.)  And the Lord said to me, "Son of man, this is the place of my throne and the place where I will rest my feet. I will remain here forever, living among the people of Israel. They and their kings will not defile my holy name any longer by their adulterous worship of other gods or by raising monuments in honor of their dead kings.  They put their idol altars right next to mine with only a wall between them and me. They defiled my holy name by such wickedness, so I consumed them in my anger.  Now let them put away their idols and the sacred pillars erected to honor their kings, and I will live among them forever.” (Verses 5-9)  

Remove from us the worship of things – money, wealth, food, influence, and knowledge to name of few.  Remove from us the worship of people – our national ancestors, our professional athletes, our movie stars, and our musicians to name a few. 

Remove these idols so that we might worship the Lord alone… so that we might not defile the relationship that we have with our God.  Keep us holy – set apart for the service of the Lord.  We are the priesthood of believers.  All we need is the Lord.

The Lord is our inheritance.  We need nothing else.  Help us to be content with You, O God. 

Let’s read from Ezekiel chapter forty-four:

"As to property, the priests will not have any, for I alone am their inheritance.  Their food will come from the gifts and sacrifices brought to the Temple by the people – the grain offerings, the sin offerings, and the guilt offerings. Whatever anyone sets apart for the Lord will belong to the priests.  The first of the ripe fruits and all the gifts brought to the Lord will go to the priests. The first samples of each grain harvest and the first of your flour must also be given to the priests so the Lord will bless your homes.” (Verses 28-30)

Our food comes from doing the will of the Lord.  That is our sacrifice to the Lord now.  We receive nourishment from the Word of God.  We receive further nourishment as we live the way that God’s Word tells us to live.

And all that belongs to God also belongs to us.  We will be richly blessed… so that we might bless other peoples.  Our homes will be blessed and so will the homes of our neighbors.

All we need is the Lord.  We are the priesthood of believers.  All we need is the Lord.

May it be so.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out


No comments:

Post a Comment