Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Abiding in the Word; John 14-17


May the mumbling commence!
Today, we finish our repeated reading of John chapters fourteen to seventeen.  Tomorrow, we embark on our reading of the entire Bible.  It is all about continually immersing ourselves in the Word of God… staying connected to the vine.  It is the only way we can bear fruit.  Read from John chapter fifteen (NLT):
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.  He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful.  You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you.  Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. (Verses 1-4)   
Lord, prepare us to be fruit bearing branches.  Help us to abide in Jesus, the Vine.  Prune from us the distractions of this world so that we might be even more fruitful.  Guide our reading of your Word in these next months.  We await your Word each day with anticipation.
Starting tomorrow, I will be reading two Old Testament chapters and one New Testament chapter.  I will start at Genesis one and continue from there, and I will start the New Testament reading from Matthew and continue from there.  That will be the pattern Monday through Saturday.  On Sundays, I will read five Old Testament chapters.
I invite you all on this continuing journey through the Bible with me.  For this read through, I will be using the New Living Translation.
Enough mumbling for now…
Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment