Sunday, October 13, 2013

Out on a Limb. Genesis 24-25; Matthew 10

May the mumbling commence!

Oh, to go out on a limb for the Lord!  There are many people who have done this.  Just look at the story in Genesis chapter twenty-four:

"So this afternoon when I came to the spring I prayed this prayer: 'O Lord, the God of my master, Abraham, if you are planning to make my mission a success, please guide me in a special way.  Here I am, standing beside this spring. I will say to some young woman who comes to draw water, "Please give me a drink of water!"  And she will reply, "Certainly! And I'll water your camels, too!" Lord, let her be the one you have selected to be the wife of my master's son.' 
Before I had finished praying these words, I saw Rebekah coming along with her water jug on her shoulder. She went down to the spring and drew water and filled the jug. So I said to her, 'Please give me a drink.'   She quickly lowered the jug from her shoulder so I could drink, and she said, 'Certainly, sir, and I will water your camels, too!' And she did.  When I asked her whose daughter she was, she told me, 'My father is Bethuel, the son of Nahor and his wife, Milcah.' So I gave her the ring and the bracelets. 
Then I bowed my head and worshiped the Lord. I praised the Lord, the God of my master, Abraham, because he had led me along the right path to find a wife from the family of my master's relatives.  So tell me – will you or won't you show true kindness to my master? When you tell me, then I'll know what my next step should be, whether to move this way or that." 
Then Laban and Bethuel replied, "The Lord has obviously brought you here, so what can we say?  Here is Rebekah; take her and go. Yes, let her be the wife of your master's son, as the Lord has directed." 
At this reply, Abraham's servant bowed to the ground and worshiped the Lord.  Then he brought out silver and gold jewelry and lovely clothing for Rebekah. He also gave valuable presents to her mother and brother.  Then they had supper, and the servant and the men with him stayed there overnight. But early the next morning, he said, "Send me back to my master." 
"But we want Rebekah to stay at least ten days," her brother and mother said. "Then she can go." 
But he said, "Don't hinder my return. The Lord has made my mission successful, and I want to report back to my master." 
"Well," they said, "we'll call Rebekah and ask her what she thinks."  So they called Rebekah. "Are you willing to go with this man?" they asked her. And she replied, "Yes, I will go." 
So they said good-bye to Rebekah and sent her away with Abraham's servant and his men. The woman who had been Rebekah's childhood nurse went along with her. (Verses 42-59)

This servant of Abraham is likely Eliezer of Damascus… the very servant that Abraham thought his inheritance would go to when Abraham was yet to be a father.  So, this servant goes to find a wife for the child of the promise so that the line of Abraham can continue without him.  Now that is selfless!

And then there is also Rebekah.  She was willing to leave her family to go with a servant to wed a husband sight-unseen.  She had no way of knowing if the servant of Abraham spoke truthfully… other than from the lavish gifts given to her and her family.  And yet Rebekah chose to go.  This obedience to the call of the Lord is worship equal to or greater than the worship shown by the servant of Abraham.

Are we as willing to stand up and pay the price for acknowledging our Lord?  Read from Matthew chapter ten:

"If anyone acknowledges me publicly here on earth, I will openly acknowledge that person before my Father in heaven.  But if anyone denies me here on earth, I will deny that person before my Father in heaven. (Verses 32-33)

The price is high either way… so we should consider the reward for the cost.  Do we deny Christ and reap eternal hell?  OR do we stand up for Christ and reap eternal life?  I choose the latter.

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment