Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Finding Holy Ground. Exodus 2-3; Matthew 19

May the mumbling commence!

Where in your life is holy ground?  It may be a sanctuary.  It may be a particular spot in your home where you do your devotional reading.  It may even be contained within your workplace. 

Anywhere where we meet God is holy ground.  On weekdays, I have set aside about twelve to fifteen minutes to read my Scripture for the day in the driver’s seat of the school bus that I drive.  For me, that seat resides on holy ground.  It sets a proper attitude for when I greet my students as they load onto the bus.

Moses found holy ground in his workplace too.  He met God while tending the sheep.  Read from Exodus chapter three:

One day Moses was tending the flock of his father-in-law, Jethro, the priest of Midian, and he went deep into the wilderness near Sinai, the mountain of God.  Suddenly, the angel of the Lord appeared to him as a blazing fire in a bush. Moses was amazed because the bush was engulfed in flames, but it didn't burn up.  "Amazing!" Moses said to himself. "Why isn't that bush burning up? I must go over to see this." 
When the Lord saw that he had caught Moses' attention, God called to him from the bush, "Moses! Moses!"
"Here I am!" Moses replied. 
"Do not come any closer," God told him. "Take off your sandals, for you are standing on holy ground."  Then he said, "I am the God of your ancestors – the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob." When Moses heard this, he hid his face in his hands because he was afraid to look at God. 
Then the Lord told him, "You can be sure I have seen the misery of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries for deliverance from their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering.  So I have come to rescue them from the Egyptians and lead them out of Egypt into their own good and spacious land. It is a land flowing with milk and honey – the land where the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites live.  The cries of the people of Israel have reached me, and I have seen how the Egyptians have oppressed them with heavy tasks.  Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You will lead my people, the Israelites, out of Egypt." (Verses 1-10)

May the Lord find catching our attention so easy!  Let’s stay aware of our surroundings and look for the Lord in unexpected places.  Even in the middle of the wilderness!  Yes, places that seem desolate of God can surprise us.

Let’s acknowledge the holiness of the ground where we meet God.  Let’s take off our shoes and bow before our Lord.  Let’s be open to listening to what God has to say to us… even when it is uncomfortable to hear and heed.  Because God will never call us to a task that He will not equip us for.

Let’s come to God as children.  It is the proper way to come – knowing our vulnerability and the love that the Lord has for us.  Read from Matthew chapter nineteen:

Some children were brought to Jesus so he could lay his hands on them and pray for them. The disciples told them not to bother him.  But Jesus said, "Let the children come to me. Don't stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these."  And he put his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left. (Verses 13-15)

Indeed, the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to children. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment