Monday, October 7, 2013

A Tale of Two Covenants; Genesis 9-13

May the mumbling commence!

In today’s five chapters of Genesis (9-13), there are two important covenants.  The first often known as the covenant with Noah is actually that God made with all the living creatures of the world.  It is the covenant of the rainbow.  Read it below from Genesis chapter nine:

Then God told Noah and his sons, "I am making a covenant with you and your descendants, and with the animals you brought with you – all these birds and livestock and wild animals.  I solemnly promise never to send another flood to kill all living creatures and destroy the earth."  And God said, "I am giving you a sign as evidence of my eternal covenant with you and all living creatures.  I have placed my rainbow in the clouds. It is the sign of my permanent promise to you and to all the earth.  When I send clouds over the earth, the rainbow will be seen in the clouds, and I will remember my covenant with you and with everything that lives. Never again will there be a flood that will destroy all life.  When I see the rainbow in the clouds, I will remember the eternal covenant between God and every living creature on earth."  Then God said to Noah, "Yes, this is the sign of my covenant with all the creatures of the earth." (Verses 8-17)

Never again would God destroy the earth with floods.  It was a promise, a covenant, made with humanity and all the earth.  Lest we miss it, the repetition of including all living things is repeated eight times.  God loves all His creation.

The second covenant is often called the covenant of Abraham.  Read it from Genesis chapter twelve:

Then the Lord told Abram, "Leave your country, your relatives, and your father's house, and go to the land that I will show you.  I will cause you to become the father of a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and I will make you a blessing to others.  I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you. All the families of the earth will be blessed through you." (Verses 1-3)

God called Abram to leave behind all that he knew and trusted… his country and his family to go to a mysterious “land that God would show him”.  Now that’s going out on a limb!  But to do as God commanded would bring great blessings.

Abram would become the father of a great nation.  Abram would be famous.  Abram would be a blessing to others.  Those people who choose to bless Abram would also be blessed.  Those people who choose to curse Abram would be cursed.  Indeed, all the families of the earth will be blessed through him.

Great risk for God brings even greater reward.  All Christians (and Muslims for that matter) are children of Abraham.  We have been blessed through Abraham many generations removed from when Abraham walked the earth.

Let us give thanks to the Lord for His faithfulness throughout the generations.  Let us give thanks for our spiritual forefather Abraham.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment