Thursday, August 15, 2013

NOTHING Can Separate Us from the Love of Christ; Romans 5-8

May the mumbling commence!

Today starts the day of a brave new world.  Then, why do I not feel so brave?  Today is the first day of Kindergarten for my son, Micah. 

There were tears as I left him at the school in the capable hands of his teachers.  They were his tears not mine, but still there is a sadness.  I know from my mother telling me that I cried on my first day of Kindergarten, too.  I wonder how she did it.  Maybe it was because I was her eighth child to take to a first day of school.

 But it is hard.  An old chapter is ending.  A brand new chapter is beginning.  How will I perform as a parent of a school age child?  How will Micah get along with his teachers and his classmates?  Will Micah make a friend or two this school year?

There is angst, but there is also reason for courage.  Micah knows that his mommy and daddy love him.  He got multiple kisses and hugs before the start of the school day.

And, as life sometimes seems to be whipping us, we too have reason for hope and courage.  Read from Romans chapter eight (NIV):

Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?  As it is written:
"For your sake we face death all day long;
we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." 
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.  For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Verses 35-39)

We have reason for hope and courage because of Christ’s love for us.  Nothing can separate us – neither life nor death.  Yes, that includes Kindergarten too.  Through the Spirit of Christ’s love, we will be more than conquerors.

Show us the way, O God, to be good children, good parents, and good teachers.  May we follow the greatest Teacher of all – Jesus Christ.

These things I think and pray about fervently as I await the sweet reunion with Micah this afternoon.  I await it in this almost disturbingly quiet house.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment