Monday, May 6, 2013

Real Life Superheroes; Philippians


May the mumbling commence!

Many of you know them by name – Superman, Spiderman, Iron Man, Batman…  They are superheroes.  But, what are superheroes of the faith made of?  What do they look like?  Read from Philippians chapter two (NEB):

I hope (under the Lord Jesus) to send you Timothy to you soon; it will cheer me to hear news of you.  There is no one else here who sees things as I do, and takes a genuine interest in your concerns; they are all bent on their own ends, not on the cause of Christ Jesus.  But Timothy’s record is known to you: you know that he has been at my side in the service of the Gospel like a son working under his father.  Timothy, then, I hope to send as soon as ever I am confident, under the Lord, that I shall myself be coming before long.
I feel also I must send our brother Epaphroditus, my fellow worker and comrade, whom you commissioned to minister to my needs.  He has been missing you sadly, and has been distressed that you heard that he was ill.  (He was indeed dangerously ill, but God was merciful to him, and merciful no less to me, to spare me sorrow upon sorrow.)  For this reason I am all the more eager to send him, to give you the happiness of seeing him again, and to relieve my sorrow.  Welcome him then in the fellowship of the Lord with whole-hearted delight.  You should honor men like him; in Christ’s cause he came near to death, risking his life to render me the service you could not give. (Verses 19-30)

What are the super powers of a Christian hero?  A Christian superhero lays down her own interests to pick up the cause of Christ… by caring for the needs of others over and against her own needs.  In this me-me world that we live in, this is a superpower indeed.

A Christian superhero works in conjunction with other Christians with the goal to serve the Gospel message and glorify God in Christ Jesus.  In this grandstanding world that we live in, this is a superpower.

A Christian superhero serves the call of Christ regardless of illness or consequences of doing so.  This kind of dedication to service is a superpower in this world of casual and near non-existent commitments.

We are to celebrate Christians who lay aside personal gains for the sake of Christ.  We are to celebrate Christians who work cooperatively with other Christians.  We are to celebrate Christians who stick to their commitments at the risk of their health and safety.

People like these are the superheroes of our lives…  They are on the road to real life… abundant life… eternal life with God.  This is a life that makes our existence look like a comic book.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment