Monday, May 20, 2013

Joy is Strong; Philippians

May the mumbling commence!

True Christian joy is a strong bond.  It unites when we are physically apart and when we are physically distant from one another.  Look at the strength of the bond of joy and love between Epaphroditus and the community at Philippi from chapter two of Paul’s letter to the Philippians (NIV):

Meanwhile, I thought I should send Epaphroditus back to you. He is a true brother, a faithful worker, and a courageous soldier. And he was your messenger to help me in my need.  Now I am sending him home again, for he has been longing to see you, and he was very distressed that you heard he was ill.  And he surely was ill; in fact, he almost died. But God had mercy on him – and also on me, so that I would not have such unbearable sorrow. 
So I am all the more anxious to send him back to you, for I know you will be glad to see him, and that will lighten all my cares.  Welcome him with Christian love and with great joy, and be sure to honor people like him.  For he risked his life for the work of Christ, and he was at the point of death while trying to do for me the things you couldn't do because you were far away. (Verses 25-30)  

Epaphroditus longed to see his church family at Philippi.  They also would be glad to see him alive and well.  For these reasons, Paul sent him back.

It was in the attitude of love and joy that Epaphroditus was sent in the first place.  Through the love and joy of Christ Jesus, we can do things that we did not think were possible for us.  Through the love and joy of Christ, we can risk our lives for the benefit of other people.

This type of devotion should be celebrated.  Celebrate with great joy.

The joy that comes only from God is strong, complete, unwavering, and life-giving.  Who can ask for anything more?  And we are not even through the entire letter yet…  There is more!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment