Monday, September 3, 2012

MENNO; John 14-16

May the mumbling commence!

There is a Greek word used in John chapter fifteen called menno.  It is found in the vine and branches illustration that Jesus uses.  It is often translated “remain” or “stay in”.  Brings a whole new meaning to Menno Simmons name, doesn’t it?  If we take it literally within the context of the illustration, menno seems to be sedentary – only moving at the slow pace of a growing vine.

But, as always, there is a limitation to any illustration.  Menno has a deeper meaning that will be lost if we think of it as remaining and staying in – a sedentary position that changes only gradually.  That deeper meaning is uncovered in Phillips’ translation.  Read it below from John chapter fifteen:

"I have loved you just as the Father has loved me. You must go on living in my love. If you keep my commandments you will live in my love just as I have kept my Father's commandments and live in his love. I have told you this so that you can share my joy, and that your happiness may be complete. This is my commandment: that you love each other as I have loved you. There is no greater love than this – that a man should lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I tell you to do. I shall not call you servants any longer, for a servant does not share his master's confidence. No, I call you friends, now, because I have told you everything that I have heard from the Father.
It is not that you have chosen me; but it is I who have chosen you. I have appointed you to go and bear fruit that will be lasting; so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he will give it to you.” (Verses 9-16)

Go on living in.  That sounds more active.  What do we go on living in?  We go on living in the love of Jesus and the love of the heavenly Father.  What does that mean for how we live our lives?

I invite you to look at the passage above.  Look at the words in small caps.  These words show us what it means to live in God’s love.  Keep God’s commandments.  It is what Jesus did.  It sounds simple, doesn’t it?  It is simple to say but hard to do.  We need to prioritize.  What is most important in keeping God’s commands?

That question is answered in this passage as well.  Look at the words that are underlined.  The command is to love one another.  Loving others may mean laying down our lives for the betterment of other people.

If we live in these ways, we live in the love of God.  If we do these things, what will the result be?  Look at the words that are shadowed and outlined.  We will share the joy of Jesus and our joy will be complete.  What will the cause of this joy be?  We will bear fruit that will be lasting – fruit of the kingdom of God.  We will be known as friends of God because we are learning to know God’s will.  We will be chosen by God.  And we will receive whatever we ask God in Jesus’ name.

What better reasons can we have for living in the love of God?  Let us go and live in the love of God – and extend that love of God to other people who do not know it.  All our prayers will be answered in Jesus’ name.

But, what does praying in Jesus’ name mean?  We often add “in Jesus’ name” as an addendum to our prayers – just before we say amen, which means so be it.  In Jesus’ name is more than an addendum.

In Jesus’ name does NOT mean getting all our hearts desires – praying is not like a wish list for Santa Claus or a genie.  In Jesus’ name means seeking the path that Jesus places before us.  It means thinking of other people before ourselves.  It means making some real sacrifices so that God’s kingdom can become more evident here on earth as it is in heaven.

Let us live with sacrifice and love of God and other people.  Let us sacrifice for the good of all creation.  These things are living into the love of God.  We are chosen and beloved of God.  Let us be channels of the love of God to the world.

Let us menno.  Let us remain.  Let us stay in the vine of Christ Jesus.  Let us live into the love of God as represented in the vine of Jesus.  Let us welcome fruitfulness that means a sometimes painful pruning.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out


No comments:

Post a Comment