Monday, September 24, 2012

A Thousand Shades of Gray; 1 Corinthians 11-13

May the mumbling commence!

It is high time to grow up and face the uncertainties in life.  Sometimes I yearn for the days of seeing things in black and white.  You know, the days of youth and teenage angst.  But I need to be ready for Christ’s return.  There is no time for a return to the ways of my youth.  Read from First Corinthians chapter thirteen:

For if there are prophecies they will be fulfilled and done with, if there are "tongues" the need for them will disappear, if there is knowledge it will be swallowed up in truth. For our knowledge is always incomplete and our prophecy is always incomplete, and when the complete comes, that is the end of the incomplete.
When I was a little child I talked and felt and thought like a little child. Now that I am a man my childish speech and feeling and thought have no further significance for me.
At present we are men looking at puzzling reflections in a mirror. The time will come when we shall see reality whole and face to face! At present all I know is a little fraction of the truth, but the time will come when I shall know it as fully as God now knows me! (Verses 8b-12)

Prophecies will all be fulfilled.  Tongues will no longer be needed.  The universal language of the love of God will be the way to communicate.  This time is coming… soon!

But, for now, you and I must be careful how much credibility we give to our own knowledge and prophecy.  They are all incomplete at the present time.  They are like a poor, fogged-up funhouse mirror to reality.  We could insist that we see THE truth, but that is a juvenile thought.  We know only a tiny fraction of the truth.  Knowing THE truth must be left behind.

There will be a time coming that we shall see reality face-to-face.  There will be a time when I fully know the only God who fully knows me.  What a gift to wait and hope for!

But, for now, we must be content with a thousand shades of gray.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment