Saturday, September 29, 2012

Accentuate the Negative; 2 Corinthians 10-12

May the mumbling commence!

Accentuate the positive.  Eliminate the negative.  That is the mantra of our airbrushed Photoshop world.  Why would we do anything to make our weaknesses known?  We want to look good.  We want to at least look like a winner.

That is the way of the world.  But, as Christians, we do not operate on the world’s terms.  We do not compete in the beauty contest of this world.  We compete on a completely different level – one that has greater meaning and consequences.  On this level, our weaknesses are key.  Read from Second Corinthians chapter twelve:

So tremendous, however, were the revelations that God gave me that, in order to prevent my becoming absurdly conceited, I was given a physical handicap – one of Satan's angels – to harass me and effectually stop any conceit. Three times I begged the Lord for it to leave me, but his reply has been, "My grace is enough for you: for where there is weakness, my power is shown the more completely."
Therefore, I have cheerfully made up my mind to be proud of my weaknesses, because they mean a deeper experience of the power of Christ. I can even enjoy weaknesses, suffering, privations, persecutions and difficulties for Christ's sake. For my very weakness makes me strong in him. (Verses 7-10)

Conceit is the enemy of any messenger of God.  Conceit transforms the messenger into a god.  And that will not do.  My weaknesses make it clear that I am not a god.  I am not God, and that is a good thing.  Only Christ can make me strong and accomplish anything of worth.  That is grace, and that is enough for me.

You see, the battle that we fight is not of this world.  In the contest that we compete, sometimes we compete against ourselves.  Sometimes, we are our own worst enemy.  Self deception must fall.  Fantasy is no longer viable.  Only the truth of God will do.  Read from Second Corinthians chapter ten:

The truth is that, although of course we lead normal human lives, the battle we are fighting is on the spiritual level. The very weapons we use are not those of human warfare but powerful in God's warfare for the destruction of the enemy's strongholds. Our battle is to bring down every deceptive fantasy and every imposing defense that men erect against the true knowledge of God. We even fight to capture every thought until it acknowledges the authority of Christ. Once we are sure of your obedience we shall not shrink from dealing with those who refuse to obey. (Verses 3-6)

Our enemy’s strongholds are deep within us.  They divide us.  They are deep within our own thoughts and attitudes.  They are deceptive fantasies that erect walls of defense against the true knowledge and nature of ourselves and of God.  Every last thought and attitude must be captured so that the authority of Christ is recognized.

This battle is fierce.  The enemies are hard to detect.  And we rely on our weaknesses and our absolute trust in the strength of God through Jesus Christ.

Accentuate the negative.  Trust in God.  Elevate the Lord.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment