Saturday, September 15, 2012

God is DYNAMITE! Romans 1

May the mumbling commence!

Dynamite!  It was an exclamation of a character in the classic TV show “Good Times”.  Many groups of cheerleaders shout that the team that they cheer for is dynamite – BOOM.

These expressions are not something hidden and private.  (Although, I have heard that a true football fan will remark, “What cheerleaders?” after the game.)  These expressions are yelled from the top of voices with exquisite expression. 

Think about how many fans act at sporting events.  There is no hiding their allegiance.  They were it upon their hats and t-shirts.  They are fanatics.  And sometimes they are freakish.

Can Christians say the same thing about their devotion to God and His Son, Jesus?  We might pause and say that, “Christian faith is different.”  And, in a sense, we would right in saying so.  Why..?  Because the vulgarity of some fanatics is far from the path that Jesus laid out before us. 

But, as for the pubic nature of our allegiance to God and His Son Jesus, we should rank right up there as Jesus Freaks.  Read what the Apostle Paul has to say about God in the first chapter of Romans:

Then I should like you to know, my brothers, that I have long intended to come to you (but something has always prevented me), for I should like to see some results among you, as I have among other Gentiles. I feel myself under a sort of universal obligation, I owe something to all men, from cultured Greek to ignorant savage. That is why I want, as far as my ability will carry me, to preach the Gospel to you who live in Rome as well.
For I am not ashamed of the Gospel. I see it as the very power of God working for the salvation of everyone who believes it, both Jew and Greek. I see in it God's plan for imparting righteousness to men, a process begun and continued by their faith. For, as the scripture says: 'The just shall live by faith'. (Verses 13-17)

Paul did not shy away from preaching the Good News of Jesus – the Gospel.  He was not ashamed.  Paul poured out to the Roman Christians his unfettered desire to come to them and preach Christ.  Paul extended himself to the furthest limits of his abilities.  Paul was willing to look the part of the fool or the freak so that the Gospel would reach as many people as possible – regardless of their race or standing in life as he perceived it…

Paul saw the Gospel of Christ as the very power of God working for the salvation of everyone who believes it.  THE VERY POWER!  In Greek the word is dynamos.  DYNAMITE!  Our God is dynamite.  God is dynamite that explodes in salvation and righteousness for those who believe.  So display your faith for all to see.

We unashamedly display for the whole world to see our sports' allegiances.  It should be no different for displaying our allegiance to God.  

OUR GOD IS DNYAMITE!  Say it loud, and say it proud.  Then be ready to explain and teach why.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment