Thursday, November 13, 2014

Sarah, It's Your Promise, Too! Genesis 17:15-22

May the mumbling commence!

Sarai was included with the promise of the Lord.  And she was never excluded.  God comes straight forth with that promise… a promise that caused great surprise and joy and laughter.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            God continued speaking to Abraham, “And Sarai your wife: Don’t call her Sarai any longer; call her Sarah.  I’ll bless her – yes!  I’ll give you a son by her!  Oh, how I’ll bless her!  Nations will come from her; kings of nations will come from her.”
            Abraham fell flat on his face.  And then he laughed, thinking, Can a hundred-year-old man father a son?  And can Sarah, at ninety years, have a baby?”
            Recovering, Abraham said to God, “Oh, keep Ishmael alive and well before you!”
            But God said, “That’s not what I mean.  Your wife, Sarah, will have a baby, a son.  Name him Isaac (Laughter).  I’ll establish my covenant with him and his descendants, a covenant that lasts forever.
            And Ishmael?  Yes, I heard your prayer for himI’ll also bless him; I’ll make sure he had plenty of children – a huge family.  He’ll father twelve princes; I’ll make him a great nation.  But I’ll establish my covenant with Isaac whom Sarah will give you about this time next year.”
            God finished speaking with Abraham and left.  (Genesis 17:15-22)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

God also said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you are no longer to call her Sarai; her name will be Sarah.  I will bless her and will surely give you a son by her. I will bless her so that she will be the mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her." 
Abraham fell facedown; he laughed and said to himself, "Will a son be born to a man a hundred years old? Will Sarah bear a child at the age of ninety?"  And Abraham said to God, "If only Ishmael might live under your blessing!" 
Then God said, "Yes, but your wife Sarah will bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.  And as for Ishmael, I have heard you: I will surely bless him; I will make him fruitful and will greatly increase his numbers. He will be the father of twelve rulers, and I will make him into a great nation.  But my covenant I will establish with Isaac, whom Sarah will bear to you by this time next year."  When he had finished speaking with Abraham, God went up from him.  (Genesis 17:15-22)

There are many differences in the NIV and Peterson’s work.  Many are surface-level and do not affect the meaning.

That being said, I believe there is a significant difference between the words can and will.  Peterson makes Abraham a little more doubtful about the possibility that God can do what He says.  Can you do it God?  On the other hand, the NIV translation does not have Abraham question God so boldly through the use of the word “will”. 

I think will is more appropriate.  I think this because Abraham immediately began to call Sarai Sarah.  Abraham believed.  Abraham was caught by surprise and joy.

And I think that the NIV is also truer to the plea and worry that Abraham had for Ishmael.  Abraham wanted the covenant promise for Ishmael.  God rejected that request but gave Abraham hope by promising to bless Ishmael in different ways.  That’s one of the many outcomes of trying to help God along.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out  

No comments:

Post a Comment