Thursday, November 27, 2014

Echoes of the Past. Genesis 21:22-34

May the mumbling commence!

What about the call of the Lord to bless others?  Let’s think about that as we read the rest of Genesis chapter twenty-one.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            At about that same time, Abimelech and the captain of his troops, Phicol, spoke to Abraham: “No matter what you do, God is on your side.  So swear to me that you won’t do anything underhanded to me or any of my family.  For as long as you live here, swear that you’ll treat me and my land as well as I’ve treated you.”
                Abraham said, “I swear it.”
                At the same time, Abraham confronted Abimelech over the matter of a well of water that Abimelech’s servants had taken.  Abimelech said, “I have no idea who did this; you never told me about it; this is the first I’ve heard of it.”
                So the two of them made a covenant.  Abraham took sheep and cattle and gave them to Abimelech.  Abraham set aside seven sheep from his flock.
                Abimelech said, “What does this mean?  These seven sheep you’ve set aside.”
                Abraham said, “It means that when you accept these seven sheep, you take it as proof that I dug this well, that it’s my well.”
                That’s how the place got named Beersheba (the Oath-Well), because the two of them swore an oath there.  After they had made the covenant at Beersheba, Abimelech and his commander, Phicol, left and went back to Philistine territory.
                Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba and worshiped God there, praying to the Eternal God.  Abraham lived in Philistine country for a long time.  (Genesis 21:22-34)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

At that time Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his forces said to Abraham, "God is with you in everything you do.  Now swear to me here before God that you will not deal falsely with me or my children or my descendants. Show to me and the country where you are living as an alien the same kindness I have shown to you." 
Abraham said, "I swear it." 
Then Abraham complained to Abimelech about a well of water that Abimelech's servants had seized.  But Abimelech said, "I don't know who has done this. You did not tell me, and I heard about it only today."  So Abraham brought sheep and cattle and gave them to Abimelech, and the two men made a treaty.  Abraham set apart seven ewe lambs from the flock, and Abimelech asked Abraham, "What is the meaning of these seven ewe lambs you have set apart by themselves?" 
He replied, "Accept these seven lambs from my hand as a witness that I dug this well." 
So that place was called Beersheba, because the two men swore an oath there. 
After the treaty had been made at Beersheba, Abimelech and Phicol the commander of his forces returned to the land of the Philistines.  Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beersheba, and there he called upon the name of the Lord, the Eternal God.  And Abraham stayed in the land of the Philistines for a long time.  (Genesis 21:22-34)

Our past actions echo throughout our lives – for good or for evil.  Abraham’s actions and thoughts toward Abimelech and his people are echoing in this passage.  Abraham had behaved poorly toward Abimelech, while Abimelech had responded with grace and humility.  Yet God restored Abraham.  God restored Abraham so that he might be a blessing to all people.
But Abimelech wanted assurance that Abraham would treat him fairly in response.

I still do not like Peterson’s turn of phrase “God is on your side” over the NIV “God is with you”.  The difference is too far apart, and abuse of the Scripture too tempting.  We’ve seen it too many times to count already.  Why give the idea more credence?

I also do not like the attitude difference between Abraham complaining (NIV) and confronting (Peterson) Abimelech.  Peterson grants Abraham a raised standing over Abimelech that simply was not there.  Abraham, in many ways, is still at the mercy of Abimelech.  He gives Abimelech seven female ewes (NIV), which are quite valuable because of their ability to produce more sheep… rather than simply saying sheep (Peterson).

The last issue that I will take up is the matter of their agreement with one another.  I don’t know about you, but I think there’s a significant difference between making a treaty and making a covenant.  I see a treaty as more temporal and a covenant as more long-lasting or even eternal.  I do not like Peterson’s use of covenant in this context.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment