Sunday, November 23, 2014

Assuming, Doubting, Lying... Yet Restored. Genesis 20:11-18

May the mumbling commence!

Abraham was called on the carpet by a people that he assumed knew nothing or cared nothing about the Lord.  Now it’s time for Abraham’s response.  Read from Peterson’s The Message:

            Abraham said, “I just assumed that there was no fear of God in this place and that they’d kill me to get my wife.  Besides, the truth is that she is my half sister; she’s my father’s daughter but not my mother’s.  When God sent me out as a wanderer from my father’s house, I told her, ‘Do me a favor; wherever we go, tell people that I’m your brother.’”
            Then Abimelech gave Sarah back to Abraham, and along with her sent sheep and cattle and servants, both male and female.  He said, “My land is open to you; live wherever you wish.”
            And to Sarah he said, “I’ve given your brother a thousand pieces of silver – that clears you of even a shadow of suspicion before the eyes of the world.  You’re vindicated.”
            Then Abraham prayed to God and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his maidservants, and they started having babies again.  For God had shut down every womb in Abimelech’s household on account of Sarah, Abraham’s wife.  (Genesis 20:11-18)

Now read the same passage from the NIV translation:

Abraham replied, "I said to myself, 'There is surely no fear of God in this place, and they will kill me because of my wife.'   Besides, she really is my sister, the daughter of my father though not of my mother; and she became my wife.  And when God had me wander from my father's household, I said to her, 'This is how you can show your love to me: Everywhere we go, say of me, "He is my brother." '" 
Then Abimelech brought sheep and cattle and male and female slaves and gave them to Abraham, and he returned Sarah his wife to him.  And Abimelech said, "My land is before you; live wherever you like." 
To Sarah he said, "I am giving your brother a thousand shekels of silver. This is to cover the offense against you before all who are with you; you are completely vindicated." 
Then Abraham prayed to God, and God healed Abimelech, his wife and his slave girls so they could have children again, for the Lord had closed up every womb in Abimelech's household because of Abraham's wife Sarah.  (Genesis 20:11-18)

Isn’t that just like us?  When we fall from grace and sin, we try to give excuses.  Abraham’s excuse number one: I thought… I assumed (We all know what that makes me!) that there was no fear of God here.  But there was evidence of that very fear when the people of Gerar found out what had happened with Sarah and Abraham.

Abraham’s excuse number two: We were telling part of the truth.  We are half siblings.  Partial truth is still a lie.

And it bothers me that Peterson omits the admission of Abraham that Sarah is indeed his wife.  I have no problem with the other changes… but that one is wrong – plain and simple.

Compare Abraham’s actions with Abimelech’s actions.  Abraham comes up woefully short.  Abraham assumed the godless nature of the people of Gerar.  Abraham did not trust God to protect him.  So he lied.  And he lied to his advantage.

God protected Abimelech.  And Abimelech went above and beyond the call of duty.  Not only did he return Sarah to Abraham but he also gave him sheep and cattle and slaves.  And that’s not all: Abimelech gave Abraham a thousand pieces of silver to vindicate Sarah’s reputation.  And Abimelech opened all his land for Abraham and Sarah to live in.  He did NOT send them away as in the former story.

Even so, Abraham prayed for Abimelech.  Abraham was called back into relationship with the Lord.  Do what God has called you to do: be a blessing to the world… the whole world will be blessed through you.

Though we fall, we must get back up and take on the role that God has given us.  Be light for the world.  Be salt for the earth.


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment