Thursday, August 7, 2014

SAFE! Jeremiah 6-7; Matthew 6

May the mumbling commence!

The only true safety we can claim is if we walk in the Way of the Lord.  Just going through the motions and mouthing the words is NOT enough.  God is our only refuge.  Go to the Lord and no other.

Purge the idols from our midst!  Do not worship money or what it can buy.  Do not worship fame.  Do not worship knowledge.  All these and many more pale in comparison to the Almighty living God.  Read from Jeremiah chapter seven:

The Lord gave another message to Jeremiah. He said, "Go to the entrance of the Lord's Temple, and give this message to the people: 'O Judah, listen to this message from the Lord! Listen to it, all of you who worship here!  The Lord Almighty, the God of Israel, says: Even now, if you quit your evil ways, I will let you stay in your own land.  But do not be fooled by those who repeatedly promise your safety because the Temple of the Lord is here.  I will be merciful only if you stop your wicked thoughts and deeds and are fair to others; and if you stop exploiting foreigners, orphans, and widows; and if you stop your murdering; and if you stop worshiping idols as you now do to your own harm.  Then I will let you stay in this land that I gave to your ancestors to keep forever. 
Do you think that because the Temple is here you will never suffer? Don't fool yourselves!  Do you really think you can steal, murder, commit adultery, lie, and worship Baal and all those other new gods of yours, and then come here and stand before me in my Temple and chant, "We are safe!" – only to go right back to all those evils again?  Do you think this Temple, which honors my name, is a den of thieves? I see all the evil going on there, says the Lord
Go to the place at Shiloh where I once put the Tabernacle to honor my name. See what I did there because of all the wickedness of my people, the Israelites.  While you were doing these wicked things, says the Lord, I spoke to you about it repeatedly, but you would not listen. I called out to you, but you refused to answer.  So just as I destroyed Shiloh, I will now destroy this Temple that was built to honor my name, this Temple that you trust for help, this place that I gave to you and your ancestors.  And I will send you into exile, just as I did your relatives, the people of Israel.'” (Verses 1-15)

Worship of the Lord is more than just poetic prayers and hymns.  Worship means taking time to build relationship with the Lord.  That means listening.  How often do we make space in our worship services to listen?  How comfortable are we with silence?  God is speaking to us about our sins.  Are we willing to listen?  It’s bitter medicine, but the alternative is much, much worse.

So let’s be careful where we store up our treasures.  Read from Matthew chapter six:

"Don't store up treasures here on earth, where they can be eaten by moths and get rusty, and where thieves break in and steal.  Store your treasures in heaven, where they will never become moth-eaten or rusty and where they will be safe from thieves.  Wherever your treasure is, there your heart and thoughts will also be.” (Verses 19-21)

Treasuring the things of God leads to caring for the vulnerable.  It eliminates the evil that Jeremiah spoke about so long ago.  Though the names of the idols may change, their effect is the same.  Let’s be careful where we put our hearts and thoughts.  Let’s keep them safe in the Lord.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment