Friday, August 29, 2014

Defining Success through God's Eyes. Ezekiel 2-3; Matthew 25

May the mumbling commence!

The Lord sets us up with a new definition of success.  Most people like to succeed in what they do.  Some people would look at the words of the Lord to Ezekiel and feel that God is setting up Ezekiel to be a failure. 

Not so!  Success is doing what God calls us to do.  Whether it works or not is dependent upon the will of the Lord and the free will of the people we are called to address.  Read from Ezekiel chapter three:

The voice said to me, "Son of man, eat what I am giving you – eat this scroll! Then go and give its message to the people of Israel."  So I opened my mouth, and he fed me the scroll.  "Eat it all," he said. And when I ate it, it tasted as sweet as honey. 
Then he said, "Son of man, go to the people of Israel with my messages.  I am not sending you to some foreign people whose language you cannot understand.  No, I am not sending you to people with strange and difficult speech. If I did, they would listen!  I am sending you to the people of Israel, but they won't listen to you any more than they listen to me! For the whole lot of them are hard-hearted and stubborn.  But look, I have made you as hard and stubborn as they are.  I have made you as hard as rock! So don't be afraid of them or fear their angry looks, even though they are such rebels." 
Then he added, "Son of man, let all my words sink deep into your own heart first. Listen to them carefully for yourself.  Then go to your people in exile and say to them, 'This is what the Sovereign Lord says!' Do this whether they listen to you or not." (Verses 1-11)

The Word of the Lord is sweet to the taste.  And all we need to do is open our mouths.  God will feed us like an infant.  You know, open up the tunnel and let the train go through.

Yes, the Word of the Lord is sweet to the taste.  But the message becomes bitter in our stomachs.  God sends us on a mission that will likely fail in our eyes.

Yet we need to be faithful and deliver the message to the people.  Deliver the message even before anger and ridicule.  Deliver the message even when people stop up their ears.

But before we can accurately deliver the message of the Lord, we need to listen to it carefully.  Eat it.  Process it.  Make it a part of our very being – just like the food that we eat. 

Eat God’s Word.  Process it.  Make it a part of your very essence.  Eat it slowly and savor the sweet taste before it turns sour in your stomach.

Eat God’s Word to discover if what you are doing is indeed the will of the Lord.  Sometimes we do not realize one way or the other.  Read from the parable of the sheep and goats from Matthew chapter twenty-five:

"Then these righteous ones will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink?  Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing?  When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' 
And the King will tell them, 'I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!' (Verses 37-40)

"Then they will reply, 'Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?' 
And he will answer, 'I assure you, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.' (Verses 44-45)

Open our eyes, O Lord, that we may see what true success looks like for the child of God.


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment