Saturday, August 9, 2014

God's Urgent Call. Jeremiah 10-11; Matthew 8

May the mumbling commence!

My life is not my own.  Your life is not your own.  Our lives are not our own.  We belong to God, individually and collectively.  Let’s welcome the correction of the Lord in our lives.  Read from Jeremiah chapter ten:

I know, Lord, that a person's life is not his own. No one is able to plan his own course.  So correct me, Lord, but please be gentle. Do not correct me in anger, for I would die. (Verses 23-24)

My plans are bound to go awry.  So are yours and ours.  Let’s give our lives over to the Lord.  We could be in no better hands.

We pray along with Jeremiah, “Be gentle, O Lord.”  Show us Your Way.  We will do our best to follow it to the end.  May we embrace the course God has set for our lives.  May we count the cost and know that it’s well worth our “everything”.  Read from Matthew chapter eight:

When Jesus noticed how large the crowd was growing, he instructed his disciples to cross to the other side of the lake. 
Then one of the teachers of religious law said to him, "Teacher, I will follow you no matter where you go!" 
But Jesus said, "Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but I, the Son of Man, have no home of my own, not even a place to lay my head." 
Another of his disciples said, "Lord, first let me return home and bury my father." 
But Jesus told him, "Follow me now! Let those who are spiritually dead care for their own dead." (Verses 18-22)  

The call of the Lord is urgent.  Nothing is more compelling.  The comforts of home will be left behind… the comforts of family as well.

Welcome to a new Way of life!  God forms it.  We follow it the best we can.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment