Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Value, Honor & Respect. Nehemiah 11-12; Second Corinthians 1

May the mumbling commence!

Place great value on honoring the Lord and His servants.  It is the call that we hear in Nehemiah chapter twelve.  Read it below:

On that day men were appointed to be in charge of the storerooms for the gifts, the first part of the harvest, and the tithes. They were responsible to collect these from the fields as required by the law for the priests and Levites, for all the people of Judah valued the priests and Levites and their work.  They performed the service of their God and the service of purification, as required by the laws of David and his son Solomon, and so did the singers and the gatekeepers.  The custom of having choir directors to lead the choirs in hymns of praise and thanks to God began long ago in the days of David and Asaph.  So now, in the days of Zerubbabel and of Nehemiah, the people brought a daily supply of food for the singers, the gatekeepers, and the Levites. The Levites, in turn, gave a portion of what they received to the priests, the descendants of Aaron. (Verses 44-47)

Tithing showed the Lord’s servants value, honor and respect.  And that value, honor and respect was then given to the descendants of Aaron… and eventually to the Lord.  When we worship and praise the Lord, we stand on the shoulders of our spiritual ancestors.

And God’s dedication has never wavered from His people.  Read from Second Corinthians chapter one:

Since I was so sure of your understanding and trust, I wanted to give you a double blessing.  I wanted to stop and see you on my way to Macedonia and again on my return trip. Then you could send me on my way to Judea. 
You may be asking why I changed my plan. Hadn't I made up my mind yet? Or am I like people of the world who say yes when they really mean no?  As surely as God is true, I am not that sort of person. My yes means yes because Jesus Christ, the Son of God, never wavers between yes and no. He is the one whom Timothy, Silas, and I preached to you, and he is the divine Yes – God's affirmation.  For all of God's promises have been fulfilled in him. That is why we say "Amen" when we give glory to God through Christ.  It is God who gives us, along with you, the ability to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment of everything he will give us. 
Now I call upon God as my witness that I am telling the truth. The reason I didn't return to Corinth was to spare you from a severe rebuke.  But that does not mean we want to tell you exactly how to put your faith into practice. We want to work together with you so you will be full of joy as you stand firm in your faith. (Verses 15-24)

All truth and dedication finds its source in God.  Jesus is God’s hearty affirmation of our standing with Him.  Through Jesus, we stand firm before God.  Through Jesus, we have the Holy Spirit of God in our hearts.  And that’s just the first installment!

Praise the Lord!

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out 

No comments:

Post a Comment