Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Keeping the Sabbath Holy. Nehemiah 13 (Esther 1); Second Corinthians 2

May the mumbling commence!

Keep the Sabbath holy.  It is a commandment of the Lord.  And it’s the only commandment that practicing Christians will brag that they break.  Though Jesus speaks a lot about doing the Lord’s work even on the Sabbath, people from our time and culture need to be reminded about the necessity of Sabbath.

It is more than all right to rest and worship the Lord.  We can depend on the lord to provide.  Depending only on ourselves will eventually end us up in a ditch.  For this reason, a passage from Nehemiah chapter thirteen caught my attention.  Read it below:

One Sabbath day I saw some men of Judah treading their winepresses. They were also bringing in bundles of grain and loading them on their donkeys. And on that day they were bringing their wine, grapes, figs, and all sorts of produce to Jerusalem to sell. So I rebuked them for selling their produce on the Sabbath.  There were also some men from Tyre bringing in fish and all kinds of merchandise. They were selling it on the Sabbath to the people of Judah – and in Jerusalem at that! 
So I confronted the leaders of Judah, "Why are you profaning the Sabbath in this evil way?  Wasn't it enough that your ancestors did this sort of thing, so that our God brought the present troubles upon us and our city? Now you are bringing even more wrath upon the people of Israel by permitting the Sabbath to be desecrated in this way!" 
So I commanded that from then on the gates of the city should be shut as darkness fell every Friday evening, not to be opened until the Sabbath ended. I also sent some of my own servants to guard the gates so that no merchandise could be brought in on the Sabbath day
The merchants and tradesmen with a variety of wares camped outside Jerusalem once or twice.  But I spoke sharply to them and said, "What are you doing out here, camping around the wall? If you do this again, I will arrest you!" And that was the last time they came on the Sabbath.  Then I commanded the Levites to purify themselves and to guard the gates in order to preserve the holiness of the Sabbath.
Remember this good deed also, O my God! Have compassion on me according to your great and unfailing love. (Verses 15-22) 

How often do we do our livelihood work on the Sabbath?  How often do we tread our grapes?  How often do we ask our animals (which by the way are supposed to have a Sabbath too) to work on the Sabbath?

Sometimes, we feel that we cannot stop or we will get behind.  Gotta keep up with the Joneses!  NO!  WRONG!

We depend upon God to provide for us.  We can and should take rest in the Lord.  Rest and worship will help to put our lives into a more proper perspective. 

That is one of the reasons honoring the Sabbath and keeping it holy is so important.  And we must not ask other people to work on the Sabbath or buy their wares.  To honor the Sabbath will all people in mind is to develop compassion and harvest love.  

Honoring the Sabbath helps us to extend forgiveness to ourselves and to the people we care so deeply about.  Read from Second Corinthians chapter two:

I am not overstating it when I say that the man who caused all the trouble hurt your entire church more than he hurt me.  He was punished enough when most of you were united in your judgment against him.  Now it is time to forgive him and comfort him. Otherwise he may become so discouraged that he won't be able to recover.  Now show him that you still love him
I wrote to you as I did to find out how far you would go in obeying me.  When you forgive this man, I forgive him, too. And when I forgive him (for whatever is to be forgiven), I do so with Christ's authority for your benefit, so that Satan will not outsmart us. For we are very familiar with his evil schemes. (Verses 5-11)

Forgive one another.  It shows that love runs far deeper than hurt.  And we forgive with Christ’s authority.  Forgiveness disarms one of Satan’s strongest tactics – to divide us.  May we be united in Christ Jesus.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment