Friday, March 21, 2014

The Buck Stops Here. (Ezra 10) Nehemiah 1; First Corinthians 14

May the mumbling commence!

Do we pass the buck when it comes to wrong and sin?  It is easy to do, but it is also wrong… adding another wrong to the mix.  Look at Nehemiah and how he counts himself as one of the sinners in the people of Judah.  Read from Nehemiah chapter one:

In late autumn of the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes' reign, I was at the fortress of Susa.  Hanani, one of my brothers, came to visit me with some other men who had just arrived from Judah. I asked them about the Jews who had survived the captivity and about how things were going in Jerusalem.  They said to me, "Things are not going well for those who returned to the province of Judah. They are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem has been torn down, and the gates have been burned." 
When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven.  Then I said, "O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant of unfailing love with those who love him and obey his commands, listen to my prayer! Look down and see me praying night and day for your people Israel. I confess that we have sinned against you. Yes, even my own family and I have sinnedWe have sinned terribly by not obeying the commands, laws, and regulations that you gave us through your servant Moses. 
Please remember what you told your servant Moses: 'If you sin, I will scatter you among the nations.  But if you return to me and obey my commands, even if you are exiled to the ends of the earth, I will bring you back to the place I have chosen for my name to be honored.' 
We are your servants, the people you rescued by your great power and might.  O Lord, please hear my prayer! Listen to the prayers of those of us who delight in honoring you. Please grant me success now as I go to ask the king for a great favor. Put it into his heart to be kind to me." (Verses 1b-11a)

Nehemiah owns the disgrace as his own.  He knows that he, too, is a part of the problem.  And he seeks the solution through the Lord.  Nehemiah is willing to approach the king of Assyria unbidden.  He is willing to risk his life to restore the grace of Jerusalem and the Temple.  Wow!

It is men and women like this that make me want to keep worshiping the Lord in the rightful way.  The Apostle Paul tells us in First Corinthians chapter fourteen that this way is the way of order.  Read it below:

Well, my brothers and sisters, let's summarize what I am saying. When you meet, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in an unknown language, while another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must be useful to all and build them up in the Lord.  No more than two or three should speak in an unknown language. They must speak one at a time, and someone must be ready to interpret what they are saying.  But if no one is present who can interpret, they must be silent in your church meeting and speak in tongues to God privately. 
Let two or three prophesy, and let the others evaluate what is said.  But if someone is prophesying and another person receives a revelation from the Lord, the one who is speaking must stop.  In this way, all who prophesy will have a turn to speak, one after the other, so that everyone will learn and be encouraged.  Remember that people who prophesy are in control of their spirit and can wait their turn.  For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the other churches. (Verses 26-33)

We have a God of peace, a God of order.  Worship should number one glorify God and number two build up the Body of Christ – the Church.  Everyone who has a word of God on their heart should be allowed to share, in turn.


Even as we wait on the Lord we also wait on one another.  Life, at times, seems to be nothing but a long waiting game.  Help us to be patient and wait well.  Help us to learn and be encouraged.  

Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment