Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Gratitude for Prophecy. First Samuel 3-4; John 17

May the mumbling commence!

Prophecy is not often fully understood.  Many people only think of the aspect of future prediction when they think if prophecy.  But there is so much more to it.  Read from First Samuel chapter three:

As Samuel grew up, the Lord was with him, and everything Samuel said was wise and helpful.  All the people of Israel from one end of the land to the other knew that Samuel was confirmed as a prophet of the Lord.  The Lord continued to appear at Shiloh and gave messages to Samuel there at the Tabernacle.  (Verses 19-21)

Yes, there were matters of prediction with the Lord’s messages to Samuel.  But there was also an element of wisdom and helpfulness.  Prophecy is also about being able to see the present times from the Lord’s perspective.  And what perspective could be more wise and helpful?

Prophecy is a matter of perspective whether we are talking about times gone by or present times or times yet to come.

Help us, O Lord, to listen to Your prophets.  Make them known plainly to us, even as Samuel was known to the people of his day. 

Help us to celebrate the prophets of yesteryear and the prophets of today… in anticipation of the prophets of tomorrow.  This celebration and respect was spoken about in Jesus’ high priestly prayer, as recorded in John chapter seventeen.  Read a portion of it below:

"I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me because of their testimony.  My prayer for all of them is that they will be one, just as you and I are one, Father – that just as you are in me and I am in you, so they will be in us, and the world will believe you sent me. 
I have given them the glory you gave me, so that they may be one, as we are – I in them and you in me, all being perfected into one. Then the world will know that you sent me and will understand that you love them as much as you love me.  Father, I want these whom you've given me to be with me, so they can see my glory. You gave me the glory because you loved me even before the world began! 
O righteous Father, the world doesn't know you, but I do; and these disciples know you sent me.  And I have revealed you to them and will keep on revealing you. I will do this so that your love for me may be in them and I in them."  (Verses 20-26)

Was it not for the disciples, where would we be?  I believe and you believe because of their testimony that was recorded for our benefit.

And what effect should that testimony be?  It is obvious the thinking of Jesus.  Unity is paramount.  We are to be as one.  And that oneness is a matter of continuing perfection.

Oneness precludes rugged individuality that is so prized among the people of the United States.  Let us leave behind the narcissism of our day to pick up the unity that Jesus calls us to.  It is in this oneness that the world will know that God the Father sent Jesus.

Let’s start that process – TOGETHER.

Enough mumbling for now…


Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment