Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Building God a Home. Second Samuel 6-7; Acts 8

May the mumbling commence!

Even as we try to praise God in our own ways, the Lord is building His people up through the building up of the Anointed One.  This work started long ago with Abraham and was continued through King David.  When David was settled, he wanted to build God a Temple rather than having the Lord remain in a tent.  Read from Second Samuel chapter seven:

When the Lord had brought peace to the land and King David was settled in his palace, David summoned Nathan the prophet. "Look!" David said. "Here I am living in this beautiful cedar palace, but the Ark of God is out in a tent!" 
Nathan replied, "Go ahead and do what you have in mind, for the Lord is with you." 
But that same night the Lord said to Nathan, 
"Go and tell my servant David, 'This is what the Lord says: Are you the one to build me a temple to live in?  I have never lived in a temple, from the day I brought the Israelites out of Egypt until now. My home has always been a tent, moving from one place to another.  And I have never once complained to Israel's leaders, the shepherds of my people Israel. I have never asked them, "Why haven't you built me a beautiful cedar temple?" 
Now go and say to my servant David, 'This is what the Lord Almighty says: I chose you to lead my people Israel when you were just a shepherd boy, tending your sheep out in the pasture.  I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have destroyed all your enemies. Now I will make your name famous throughout the earth!  And I have provided a permanent homeland for my people Israel, a secure place where they will never be disturbed. It will be their own land where wicked nations won't oppress them as they did in the past, from the time I appointed judges to rule my people. And I will keep you safe from all your enemies.
'And now the Lord declares that he will build a house for youa dynasty of kings!  For when you die, I will raise up one of your descendants, and I will make his kingdom strong.  He is the one who will build a house – a temple – for my name. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom foreverI will be his father, and he will be my son. If he sins, I will use other nations to punish him.  But my unfailing love will not be taken from him as I took it from Saul, whom I removed before you.  Your dynasty and your kingdom will continue for all time before me, and your throne will be secure forever.'" (Verses 1-16)

How do we construct a house for the Lord?  We construct God a home when we do as He commands us – never wavering from God’s Way.  Jesus was the descendant of David who built the true house of the Lord – the church.  Many of our spiritual ancestors had a part in building the church.  

And we must join in the building – just as Philip did so long ago.  Read from Acts chapter eight:

But the believers who had fled Jerusalem went everywhere preaching the Good News about Jesus.  Philip, for example, went to the city of Samaria and told the people there about the Messiah.  Crowds listened intently to what he had to say because of the miracles he did.  Many evil spirits were cast out, screaming as they left their victims. And many who had been paralyzed or lame were healed.  So there was great joy in that city. 
A man named Simon had been a sorcerer there for many years, claiming to be someone great.  The Samaritan people, from the least to the greatest, often spoke of him as "the Great One – the Power of God."  He was very influential because of the magic he performed.  But now the people believed Philip's message of Good News concerning the Kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ. As a result, many men and women were baptized.  Then Simon himself believed and was baptized. He began following Philip wherever he went, and he was amazed by the great miracles and signs Philip performed. (Verses 4-13)

Philip taught and healed.  Philip baptized and spread great joy because of the Good News of Jesus Christ.  Many were converted… including the most influential like Simon the sorcerer.  Philip was helping to build the house of Jesus Christ, the church.  

Let’s continue that work in our day.  Who will look back on us a couple thousand years later and think of us as great people of faith?


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment