Monday, January 13, 2014

Choosing Our Battles Well. First Samuel 16-17; John 21

May the mumbling commence!

We need to choose our battles.  And, in the decision-making process, we need to recognize that some battles are our personal battles, while other battles are the Lord’s battles, and other battles still aren’t worth fighting at all.  When we recognize the battle as the Lord’s, we need to find a way to flow with the Holy Spirit – even if it means going against all the information we can see, touch, smell, taste, and hear.

Take the story of David challenging Goliath.  The small, young and tender boy versus the hardened and huge warrior.  We know who the odds makers will go with.  Read from First Samuel chapter seventeen:

Goliath walked out toward David with his shield bearer ahead of him, sneering in contempt at this ruddy-faced boy.  "Am I a dog," he roared at David, "that you come at me with a stick?" And he cursed David by the names of his gods.  "Come over here, and I'll give your flesh to the birds and wild animals!" Goliath yelled. 
David shouted in reply, "You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord Almighty – the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.  Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel!  And everyone will know that the Lord does not need weapons to rescue his people. It is his battle, not ours. The Lord will give you to us!" (Verses 41-47)

Our Lord makes the weakest vessels and tools instruments of righteousness and judgment and peace.  May we give ourselves into the hands of God.  May we leave behind our own personal battles and join the only battle worth fighting for – the Lord’s.

Even when we stumble on our way, let us profess our love of our Lord Jesus by serving God’s children – especially the most vulnerable.  After his denial of Christ, Peter picked the mission that Jesus gave to him back up… even when it meant his impending death.  Read from John chapter twenty-one:

After breakfast Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," Peter replied, "you know I love you."
"Then feed my lambs," Jesus told him. 
Jesus repeated the question: "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
"Yes, Lord," Peter said, "you know I love you."
"Then take care of my sheep," Jesus said. 
Once more he asked him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was grieved that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, "Lord, you know everything. You know I love you."
Jesus said, "Then feed my sheep.  The truth is, when you were young, you were able to do as you liked and go wherever you wanted to. But when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and others will direct you and take you where you don't want to go."  Jesus said this to let him know what kind of death he would die to glorify God. Then Jesus told him, "Follow me." (Verses 15-19)

Let’s dedicate our lives – as fragile as they are – to the service of God.


Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment