Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Receiving Comfort; Psalm 23, Proverbs 2

May the mumbling commence!

Protection from the capricious ways of the world – that would comfort me.  Correction of my own capricious ways would… what?  Would I receive comfort from correction?  Would I feel inadequate?  Would I feel rebellion?  Or would I feel loved and comforted?

Depending on my state of mind and the attitude of my heart, I could answer any of the above.  In fact, I have during my life already.  But this comfort is what David writes about in this passage from that familiar Psalm twenty-three:

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. (Verse 4)

It is obvious that David was going through a tough time when he wrote this psalm – walking through the valley of the shadow of death.  Not exactly a cheery circumstance!  But, fear of evil tidings did not make David waver.

What can evil people with evil intent do to us?  The Lord, the Great Shepherd of the sheep, is with us.  That’s comforting.  It’s like a comic strip drawing from the “Super Sheep” video.  We point to Jesus and say, “I’m with him.”  What comfort!

And the Great Shepherd is carrying two pieces of his everyday equipment – the rod and the staff.  The Shepherd uses the rod to ward away predators.  God protects us from those who would harm us for their own benefit.  That makes for a comforting thought.  It makes me feel loved to just think about it.

But the rod is also used by the Shepherd to firmly bring a sheep that is wandering away from the flock with a well aimed and slightly painful reminder.  Yes, this use of the rod is needed; but it doesn’t give such a warm and fuzzy feeling when I think about it.  The rod is often used at a distance.  The Great Shepherd has great aim from a distance with the rod.

And the Great Shepherd uses the staff for gentle corrections in our path.  The staff is used for closer encounters with the Shepherd.  The more subtle corrections of the staff is easier to swallow, from my point of view.

So, the moral of the meditation is that it is best to listen to and obey the voice of our Shepherd and meet the staff than to wander and meet the rod…  Let us receive the words of our Lord wisely.  Read from Proverbs chapter two:

My son, if you receive my words,
And treasure my commands within you, 
So that you incline your ear to wisdom,
And apply your heart to understanding; 
Yes, if you cry out for discernment,
And lift up your voice for understanding, 
If you seek her as silver,
And search for her as for hidden treasures; 
Then you will understand the fear of the Lord,
And find the knowledge of God.  (Verses 1-5)

Such listening, such words, such actions are the greatest treasure that we can possibly find.  Why search for other pastures in this old world?  There will be no greener pastures than the ones that the Great Shepherd of the sheep will lead us to with the sound of His gentle voice and the wisdom in His Words of truth.

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment