Thursday, October 4, 2012

Keep Your Head Up; Philippians 1-2

May the mumbling commence!

No matter where you find yourself now, keep your head up.  Watch for opportunities to come.  If you are wondering how your current situation might come to the praise of God, take heart in how Saint Paul handled difficulties.  Read from Philippians chapter one:

Now, concerning myself, I want you to know, my brothers, that what has happened to me has, in effect, turned out to the advantage of the Gospel. For, first of all, my imprisonment means a personal witness for Christ before the palace guards not to mention others who come and go. Then, it means that most of our brothers, somehow taking fresh heart in the Lord from the very fact that I am a prisoner for Christ's sake, have shown far more courage in boldly proclaiming the Word of God. (Verses 12-13)

OK.  Let’s remind ourselves of Paul’s situation.  Paul is imprisoned for proclaiming the Gospel of Christ.  Paul does not know whether or not his human life will be forfeit.

That’s a pretty bleak situation.  But, in this situation, Paul finds opportunities to advance the gospel.  Let’s take a look at his list:

1.     Paul is brought into contact with people he likely would have never met.  Paul preaches to his prison guards.  Paul preaches to the shifting population of prisoners.
2.     Paul’s passion has landed him in prison.  This passion for Christ despite cost is an encouragement for other Christians who are still free to take courage in proclaiming the Word of God.

These are the two reasons for rejoicing that Paul has found in prison.  To them, I would like to add another cause for rejoicing – one that continues to give dividends today.

3.     Paul’s imprisonment caused Paul to write letters to the churches he planted.  We still have these letters today.  These letters still grant us things to ponder and ways for us to enhance our Christian way of life.

Yes, I thank God for Paul’s imprisonment.  For the reasons described above, I give thanks.

But there is a harder lesson to learn here.  Give thanks for all situations that you find yourself in.  Keep your head up.  Look for divine appointments.  Proclaim the Good News of Christ boldly.

That means I must seek to serve Christ even when my own daily needs are not being met.  That means serving Christ when people heckle me and call me a fool.  That means serving Christ even when I run afoul of the law of the land.  That means accepting the punishment that the state doles out for my actions.

Even in the midst of these things and worse yet, I am to keep my head up.  These things do not shake my confidence, my hope, or my faith.  All of these things rest in Christ Jesus alone.

So, wherever my life needs take me today, I will serve Christ.

Let it be so.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out


No comments:

Post a Comment