Thursday, October 18, 2012

Father is Home; Hebrews 12-13

May the mumbling commence!

Wait till your father gets home!  These were the words that I dreaded to hear from my mother when I was a child.  My dad was the enforcer in the household.  I feared my father and the punishment that he would bring.  Read from Hebrews chapter twelve:

Bear what you have to bear as "chastening" – as God's dealing with you as sons. No true son ever grows up uncorrected by his father. For if you had no experience of the correction which all sons have to bear you might well doubt the legitimacy of your son ship. After all, when we were children we had fathers who corrected us, and we respected them for it. Can we not much more readily submit to a heavenly Father's discipline, and learn how to live? 
For our fathers used to correct us according to their own ideas during the brief days of childhood. But God corrects us all our days for our own benefit, to teach us his holiness. Now obviously no "chastening" seems pleasant at the time: it is in fact most unpleasant. Yet when it is all over we can see that is has quietly produced the fruit of real goodness in the characters of those who have accepted it in the right spirit. So take a fresh grip on life and brace your trembling limbs. Don't wander away from the path but forge steadily onward. On the right path the limping foot recovers strength and does not collapse. (Verses 7-13)

Faithful fathers chasten and correct their children so that the father’s ideas and beliefs are passed down to the children.  Now, I know there are a lot of deadbeat fathers out there – and even a few deadbeat mothers. 

For this reason, the men of the church must stand up and be accountable.  Whether or not you are a biological father, each and every grown man has a responsibility to help raise the children of the church.  And you grown women – you are no different.  Whether or not you are a biological mother, each and every grown woman has a responsibility to help raise the children of the church.

Is this chastening or correcting or discipline pleasant for the child?  No.  I remember having privileges taken away from me.  I also remember a sore bottom every now and again.  I remember growing up first thinking that my parents knew everything, then thinking my parents were clueless, and then finally realizing that they are quite smart.

If we can endure the human correction from our mothers and fathers in the faith, then why shouldn’t we be eager to accept the same from our heavenly Father?  When we learn from our heavenly Father’s discipline, we learn how to truly live.  We learn how to live and produce the fruit of real goodness.

Accept God’s correction with the right spirit – the right attitude, that of humility.  Trembling limbs will be braced.  The path ahead will become clear.  And our reasons for limping through this life will disappear into a sign of strength.

Yes, God is my shepherd.  And the rod and the staff of my Great Shepherd do comfort me.  They are used for my protection and my correction.  I find comfort in knowing that God cares for me – ALL THE TIME.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment