Thursday, August 23, 2012

Monumental Times, Fervent Prayer; Luke 5-7

May the mumbling commence!

There are times when we recognize in our lives that are monumental.  I think that every time I prepare to preach before my church family.  It is a daunting task to bring the Word of God to my brothers and sisters in Christ.  I quake to think about it.  I will be preaching this coming Sunday.

On what do I rely to form my words?  I rely on Scripture reading and meditation first and foremost.  I rely on the relationship that I have built with the congregation. I rely on the relationship that my wife and I have built for preparing to preach.  I rely on the wisdom of biblical scholars.  I rely on the wisdom that comes from the mouth of babes – sometimes even from my four-year-old son Micah.

But none of these things alone or all together will mean anything if they are not bathed in prayer.  I take my cue from Jesus.  Read from Luke chapter six:

It was in those days that he went up the hill-side to pray, and spent the whole night in prayer to God. When daylight came, he summoned his disciples to him and out of them he chose twelve whom he called apostles. They were Simon (whom he called Peter), Andrew, his brother, James, John, Philip, Bartholomew, Matthew, Thomas, James, the son of Alphaeus, Simon, called the patriot, Judas, the son of James and Judas Iscariot, who later betrayed him.
Then he came down with them and stood on a level piece of ground, surrounded by a large crowd of his disciples and a great number of people from all parts of Judea and Jerusalem and the coastal district of Tyre and Sidon, who had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases. (And even those who were troubled with evil spirits were cured.) The whole crowd were trying to touch him with their hands, for power was going out from him and he was healing them all. (Verses 12-19)

Jesus had an awesome task to do.  He was choosing the people who would be the closest to him – those who would help to continue his ministry when he returned to his heavenly Father.  So Jesus spent the whole night in prayer – from sundown to sunrise.

I am sure that Jesus prayed for guidance on who to choose.  I am sure Jesus communed with his heavenly Father on how to begin the important work of teaching them.  I am sure that Jesus prayed for the men that he decided to choose.

We have the list of the disciples to prove Jesus’ work in prayer with God.  We also see the fruits of Jesus’ prayer in the healing of those who simply showed faith by reaching out and touching him.  And the fruits of Jesus’ prayer were also evident as he taught the people.  This passage is followed by what is commonly known as the “Sermon on the Plain”.  This sermon has much in common with the better known “Sermon on the Mount” in Matthew (5-7).

I pray that my life this week will be a prayer unto God.  I pray that I hear the voice of God through Scripture, through prayer, and through all my relationships.  I pray that God will anoint the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart.  I pray that the words of my mouth are blessed with the power of God’s Spirit. 

And I pray for those who will hear these words.  God, protect my hearers from any misspoken words I speak.  And open their hearts and ears and minds to hear your Word through my sermon.  May my breath be supported by the breath of God – the living Holy Spirit.

And God’s people say, “Amen”.  So be it.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment