Monday, August 20, 2012

Buy Into God; Mark 12-14 (Rev 3)

May the mumbling commence!

Back to school time is here again.  This week marks the first full week of school for our local schools.  Many children and young people are wearing some new clothes and shoes for the school season.  It was one of the great things that I remember from my childhood.  There is nothing like wearing something new.  I know – I was the youngest of eight children and very rarely did I get a new shirt or pair of pants.

Where is the place to get the finest of clothing?  This question makes me think of the story “The Emperor’s New Clothes”.  Sometimes the new fashions leave us naked in the eyes of the Lord.  Think about this passage from Revelation chapter three:

“While you say, 'I am rich, I have prospered, and there is nothing that I need', you have no eyes to see that you are wretched, pitiable, poverty-stricken, blind and naked. My advice to you is to buy from me that gold which is purified in the furnace so that you may be rich, and white garments to wear so that you may hide the shame of your nakedness, and salve to put on your eyes to make you see.” (Verses 17-18)

Away from the light of God we do not realize that we are wretched, pitiable, poverty-stricken, blind and naked.  It makes me think of the passage from Mark chapter fourteen:

Then all the disciples deserted him and made their escape. There happened to be a young man among Jesus' followers who wore nothing but a linen shirt. They seized him, but he left the shirt in their hands and took to his heels stark naked. (Verses 50-52)
Many scholars think that the author of Mark was referring to himself when he writes of the young man who ran away from the arrest scene naked.  When we deny the need for Jesus in our lives, we too will find ourselves stark naked.  There is only one place to get the finest of clothes.

Buy from God.  Buy into God.  Buy into what God has set before you.

The more that you and I buy into what God has set before us, the more we will become rich.  Our clothes will be of the finest white linen and our nakedness will be covered.  And salve will open our eyes that we may see with the eyes of Jesus.

May we sell all that we have so that we can buy into what God has set before us.  It is the best thing for us!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out
                       

No comments:

Post a Comment