Sunday, August 26, 2012

Do I Have Enough? Luke 14-16

May the mumbling commence!

How much is that?  Have you ever asked that question?  I have. 

I remember one time going to a store to get a prized toy – I think it was when the Transformers first came out.  I had a pocketful of change from my piggy bank.  I went to the store (which will remain unnamed) and picked out the toy I wanted to buy.

I took it to the checkout counter.  I put the toy on the counter and the toy.  I asked the cashier, “Do I have enough for this?” 

She did not look happy.  She counted through the quarters and dimes and nickels and pennies.  I was a little bit short.  I walked away in disappointment and embarrassment.

Well, Jesus wants us to count the cost of something much more important than a toy.  Jesus wants us to count the cost of following him.  Read from Luke chapter fourteen:

Now as Jesus proceeded on his journey, great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and spoke to them, "If anyone comes to me without 'hating' his father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, and even his own life, he cannot be a disciple of mine. The man who will not take up his cross and follow in my footsteps cannot be my disciple.
If any of you wanted to build a tower, wouldn't he first sit down and work out the cost of it, to see if he can afford to finish it? Otherwise, when he has laid the foundation and found himself unable to complete the building, everyone who sees it will begin to jeer at him, saying, 'This is the man who started to build a tower but couldn't finish it!'” (Verses 25-30)

Take up your cross and follow Jesus.  That is the path to discipleship.  It sounds simple, but it is so difficult to accomplish – a whole hearted acceptance of the call of Jesus without any reservation whatsoever.

It is this difficulty that prompts Jesus to tell his would be disciples to count the cost.  There is nothing as embarrassing than starting a job that you cannot finish.  Count the cost well.

How much will it cost to follow Jesus?  While the cost can be thought of in a purely monetary sense, that does not even scratch the surface of the actual cost.  We can quantify our offerings and know that Jesus calls us to give a minimum of ten percent of our income to God.  But that is a minimum.

There is also a social cost.  If we are serious about Jesus’ way of living, we will not live as the world lives.  We will stick out like sore thumbs.  People may not like the stands that we take on issues.  In some circles, we will feel like outcasts.  And sometimes those circles that we feel outcast in are formed in the name of Christ.

There is the purely personal cost of relinquishing control of our lives to God.  We no longer have control of our lives.  In fact, we will soon come to realize that most control that we felt that we had was merely illusion.

Let us count all the costs and be ready to pay the price.  What is that final price?  Everything I am and all I have.  All is relinquished to God.  And it will be in the best hands of all.  We will become free to be who God created us to be – worshipping God in full relationship with God and all creation.

What a glorious image!

Praise the Lord!

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out



No comments:

Post a Comment