Monday, April 2, 2012

"Stop Ahead" Christians; John 1-4

May the mumbling commence!

Are you a “STOP AHEAD” Christian?  As we drive along our roadways, sometimes we see “Stop Ahead” signs.  By themselves, “Stop Ahead” signs have no real traffic meaning.  They have meaning only in the octagonal red sign that follows them.  You know, the stop sign itself.  Sometimes the stop signs are hidden in around the bend in the road or beyond a rise or fall in the road or behind a growth of trees or bushes. 

Though we see the “Stop Ahead” sign first, they would not have been necessary if the stop sign had not existed first.  The same is true for Christians.  We have no meaning in and of ourselves.  We find our meaning in Jesus.  How does this shape our ministry for God through Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit? 

We will learn much from John the Baptist.  John the Baptist is a good example of a “Stop Ahead” person of the faith.  Read some passages from the gospel according to John:

Now this was John's testimony when the Jews of Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was.  He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, "I am not the Christ." 
They asked him, "Then who are you? Are you Elijah?"
He said, "I am not."
"Are you the Prophet?"
He answered, "No." 
Finally they said, "Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?" 
John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, "I am the voice of one calling in the desert, 'Make straight the way for the Lord.'" 
Now some Pharisees who had been sent questioned him, "Why then do you baptize if you are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the Prophet?" 
"I baptize with water," John replied, "but among you stands one you do not know.  He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie." (1:19-27) 

“Stop Ahead” Christianity does not fluff itself up.  John refused to confuse the people who came to be baptized by him.  He said plainly that he was neither the Messiah nor some Prophet from the past.  His only claim to importance was making a straight path for the Lord.  John knew that he was unworthy to untie the sandals of Jesus.  Read further in John chapter one:

This all happened at Bethany on the other side of the Jordan, where John was baptizing. The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is the one I meant when I said, 'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' I myself did not know him, but the reason I came baptizing with water was that he might be revealed to Israel." (28-31)

In this passage, I see the statement that defines a “Stop Ahead” Christian.  'A man who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.'  John says it better than I could. 

I also see a goal of ministry that we should all have.  The reason for ministry is that Christ be revealed.  In fact, I believe revealing Christ is the greatest goal for ministry.  It is not about you are me.  Ministry is about Christ Jesus. 

That means we need a large dose of humility.  John the Baptist did not fret when his disciples left him for Jesus (1:35ff).  Even when others pointed John the Baptist to his dwindling influence and Jesus’ growing influence, John remained joyful.  Read his reply from John chapter three:

To this John replied, "A man can receive only what is given him from heaven.  You yourselves can testify that I said, 'I am not the Christ but am sent ahead of him.'   The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom's voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete.  He must become greater; I must become less.” (Verses 27-30)

Let this be our prayer:  “May Jesus become more and I become less.”  Then, the light of Christ will shine more brightly in my life. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment