Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Not Too Far from the Tree; John 9-12

May the mumbling commence!

“He’s just a chip off the old block.”  “He didn’t fall too far from the tree.”  “Like father, like son.”  We say these sorts of things to denote a family resemblance.  That resemblance could be physical features or temperament or abilities or disabilities.  Jesus, the Son of God, has just these types of resemblance to God the Father.  Read a passage from John chapter ten:

Then came the Feast of Dedication at Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was in the temple area walking in Solomon's Colonnade.  The Jews gathered around him, saying, "How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly." 
Jesus answered, "I did tell you, but you do not believe. The miracles I do in my Father's name speak for me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep.  My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.  I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.  My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand.  I and the Father are one." 
Again the Jews picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus said to them, "I have shown you many great miracles from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?" 
"We are not stoning you for any of these," replied the Jews, "but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God." 
Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'?  If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came – and the Scripture cannot be broken – what about the one whom the Father set apart as his very own and sent into the world? Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, 'I am God's Son'?  Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does.  But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father." (Verses 22-38)

The Jews gathered around Jesus and asked for a plain statement from Jesus that he was or was not the Messiah.  John the Baptist gave such a clear statement about himself – he said he was NOT the Messiah.  Jesus answered by pointing to the miracles that God has done through him.  Jesus’ miracles were the most eloquent statement and proof that Jesus is the Messiah.

Jesus is just like his Father.  He is a chip off the old block.  He did not fall too far from the tree.  Like Father, like Son.  Jesus spoke, too.  Even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles.  If they could not accept the words that Jesus spoke, they could believe in him because of the miracles.

Today, we might have the opposite problem.  If you do not believe the miracles, then believe the words of Jesus.  Many of us like to think of ourselves as rational and scientific beings.  At times, it is hard to believe in the miracles recorded in the Scriptures.  Some of these miracles seem to defy logic and the very nature of science – as we know them. 

Yes, we may know a little about logic and nature and science.  We may make desperate attempts to fill in the blanks that we don’t know.  When we fill in the blanks, we guess.  At our best, we give an educated guess.  But it still remains a guess. 

Sometimes, I wonder which is more childish – to reject the miracles of Jesus based upon our limited understanding of God’s creation or to accept the miracles of Jesus with wonder and awe.  Is it really childish to accept the miracles of Jesus in awe and wonder? 

Maybe it is.  But Jesus tells us that to enter the kingdom of heaven, we must enter as children – immersed in wonder and awe not with childish claims of absolute knowledge or authority.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment