Tuesday, April 10, 2012

"Come to Galilee." Mark 13-16

May the mumbling commence!

Even as Jesus approached the cross and certain death in Jerusalem, the call for his disciples to follow did not end.  Jesus’ death could not overcome the power of God.  At the Last Supper, Mark records the summons that Jesus gave to his disciples.  Read it below from chapter fourteen:

"You will all fall away," Jesus told them, "for it is written: "'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered.'   But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee." 
Peter declared, "Even if all fall away, I will not." 
"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "today – yes, tonight – before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times." 
But Peter insisted emphatically, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the others said the same. (Verses 27-31)

I will not fall away in your hour of need.  I will stand beside you.  I will not quake or quail – even if it means my own death.  These were the words of Peter.  All the other disciples said the same. 

We say the same things when we claim to be Christians, “little Christs”.  We claim to be steadfastly followers of Christ no matter where Christ might lead us – even unto death.

But Jesus knew differently.  He knew his disciples would scatter and fail him.  He knew Peter would fail him.  He knows that you and I have failed him, are failing him, and will fail him.

I fail Jesus when I do not speak up in a group of people who are denigrating the way of Christ.  I fail Jesus when I speak with malice to someone else.  I fail Jesus when I ignore the log in my own eye to tell another about the speck in their eye.  I fail Jesus when I doubt and question the miracles of the past.  I fail Jesus when I turn a blind eye to the miracles of Jesus that happen in my daily life.

Yes, Jesus knows us better than we know ourselves.  Still, the summons to follow is still there.  “But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee.”  

Where is Galilee for us?  Where do we find our spiritual Galilee?  It is wherever we find the teachings of Jesus held in high esteem.  It is wherever we find the struggle to live the teachings of Jesus.  It is wherever we can confidently say that our faith in Jesus can grow.  There we will find Galilee.

Will you follow Jesus?  Will you come on my journey with me?  Please do not confuse me with my Lord.  I, too, leave behind daily the failures I make as I struggle to live Jesus teachings.  Failure is not an excuse to not follow.  Acknowledged failure is part of a healthy walk with Christ Jesus.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment