Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paying the Balance; Philemon

May the mumbling commence!

One concrete way to be Christ-like is to be willing to pay the debt of someone else.  Sometimes, I look at the debt that my family carries – mostly student loans at this point – and wonder how I will pay down my debt and supply the needs of my family.  I would guess there are many more families like mine.  When we go to pay the monthly bills, we pray for enough to make it through.

For this reason, I find it extraordinary to be willing to pay the debt of someone else.  Spiritually, we are all indebted to Christ Jesus.  Jesus paid the balance of our debt.  What celebration that would create!  In our newfound freedom from debt, do we ever see and act on opportunities to help others get their debt paid. 

There are many people weighed down by the depressing trajectory of their lives.  We can help others if we choose to.  The Apostle Paul made this choice for Onesimus, a runaway slave of Philemon.  Though Paul wished to keep Onesimus for help in his ministry, Paul returned Onesimus to his Christian Brother Philemon. 

Paul realized that Onesimus may be due for punishment for his runaway slave status – debt if you will.  Read a portion of what Paul wrote to Philemon (from the book Philemon).

So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me.  If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.  I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back – not to mention that you owe me your very self.  I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ.  Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask. (Verses 17-21)

Treat Onesimus, your runaway slave, as you would treat me.  Paul and Philemon were brothers in Christ Jesus.  Being brothers in Christ means nothing less than a warm welcome.

But this warm welcome would come at a hefty price.  What would Philemon’s other slaves think about this treatment of a runaway slave?  Might they feel encouraged to take a risk of running away and trusting in the mercy, grace, and love that would be evident in Philemon welcoming Onesimus back as a brother in Christ?

What might typically await a captured runaway slave?  At the least, Onesimus would have been severely punished – even maimed for life.  At the worst, it could have meant death.  I wonder how Paul convinced Onesimus to return and face such possibilities.

Perhaps, Onesimus was satisfied by the oath that Paul took.  Whatever wrong or debt Onesimus has, charge it to me.  I will pay it back.  What a risk to face maiming or death for another person!  Paul understood the price that Philemon would have to pay to welcome Onesimus back as a brother.

Just give Onesimus a warm welcome back as a brother in Christ, and Philemon will refresh and encourage Paul in his walk with Christ.  We, too, can encourage one another by granting mercy and grace and love where the world calls for punishment and retribution.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment