Friday, January 13, 2012

Wanted: Advice from Great Physician; Job 11-13


May the mumbling commence!

When you were ailing, have you ever received unwanted medical advice from people untrained in any sort of practicing medicine?  I know I have.  If you haven’t, all you have to do is have a back problem.  When I had my back problems last fall, there were many people giving me free unsolicited advice.  I truly believe all of them meant well.  They were all friends or brothers and sisters in Christ (or both).  

But, sometimes, when we are ailing, we would like to hear from the Great Physician himself.  This need to hear from God is exactly where Job was at when his friends were talking to him.  Read the driving force of the advice that Zophar gave Job at the end of chapter eleven:

            Yet if you devote your heart to him
                        and stretch out your hands to him,
            if you put away the sin that is in your hand
                        and allow no evil to dwell in your tent,
            then you will lift up your face without shame;
                        you will stand firm and without fear.
            You will surely forget your trouble,
                        recalling it only as waters gone by.
            Life will be brighter than noonday,
                        and darkness will become like morning.
            You will be secure, because there is hope;
                        you will look about you and take your rest in safety.
            You will lie down, with no one to make you afraid,
                        and many will court your favor.
            But the eyes of the wicked will fail,
                        and escape will elude them;
                        their hope will become a dying gasp. (Verses 13-20)

“Elementary, my dear Watson,” as Sherlock Holmes would say.  But, will these words of conviction do anything at all to ease the pain of one who is suffering?  Look at Job’s immediate response from chapter twelve:

            Doubtless you are the people,
                        and wisdom will die with you!
            But I have a mind as well as you;
                        I am not inferior to you.
                        Who does not know these things?
            I have become a laughingstock to my friends,
                        though I called upon God and he answered –
                        a mere laughingstock, though righteous and blameless!
            Men at ease have contempt for misfortune
                        as the fate of those whose feet are slipping. (Verses 2-5)

Such bitterness and rancor in these words!  He sarcastically says, “You da men!  Wisdom will die with you.”  Job repeats the sentence, “I am not inferior to you,” in this discourse.  Advice from humanity pales when our lives seem to be on the line – particularly when human cures are lacking in healing powers.  None of these friends of Job know the real problem Job is facing nor do they know the solution.  These friends are talking to make themselves feel better. 

So, what does a terminal family member or friend might want the most from us?  Get out of the way of God!  Do not seek to make yourself feel better.  Let God minister through your presence.  Help the hurting soul in the hospital bed recognize God in their life in subtle ways.  Many people will want what Job really wanted: God’s tangible presence and audible speaking.  Read from Job chapter thirteen:

            Only grant me these two things, O God,
                        and then I will not hide from you:
            Withdraw your hand from me,
                        and stop frightening me with your terrors.
            Then summon me and I will answer,
                        or let me speak, and you reply. (Verses 20-22)

“Take my affliction away and speak to me – or at least reply when I speak to you!”  That is Job’s greatest desire in his anguish.  This desire echoes throughout the ages for anyone in what they feel is mortal anguish. 

Enough mumbling for now… 

Peace Out           

No comments:

Post a Comment