Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Hey, That Hurts! Job 4-7


May the mumbling commence!

Get old enough and you will discover what it is like to suffer from physical ailments.  Yes, Job had not only lost most of what humanity would recognize as wealth, Job had also lost his health.  Read Job’s description of his life from chapter seven:

            Like a slave longing for evening shadows
                        or a hired man waiting eagerly for his wages,
            so have I been allotted months of futility,
                        and nights of misery have been assigned to me.
            When I lie down I think, “How long before I get up?”
                        The night drags on, and I toss till dawn.
            My body is clothed with worms and scabs,
                        my skin is broken and festering.
            My days are swifter than a weaver’s shuttle,
                        and they come to an end without hope. (Verses 2-6)

It seems that Job would have had some experience with the modern day hospital setting.  Have you ever been recovering in the hospital from a surgery?  I remember the days after my ruptured appendix was removed and my innards were cleaned out.  I remember the nights of misery that were interrupted every hour on the hour by a nurse checking my vitals.  I also remember the days that would seem to comparatively speed by with visitors and well-wishers.  Days would seem to end without hope of the pain ending.  Then, there were the first days back home when pain ruled the nights and days. 

Recovery from a serious illness is a long and difficult road.  Some experiences, when we are in the midst of them, seem to be worse than death.  Yes, there are far worse things than death – particularly when one look from a Christian perspective.  My wife heard many times during my recovery both from my appendix episode and my more recent back trouble episode last fall this statement: “Please kill me, and put me out of my/your misery.”  It is near impossible to keep silent in times of physical agony.  Read verse eleven from chapter seven:

            Therefore I will not keep silent;
                        I will speak out in the anguish of my spirit,
                        I will complain in the bitterness of my soul.

In physical, emotional and spiritual distress, it is easy to believe that the pain is judgment against the sin of life (7:21).  But when our pain leads us into relationship with God, our pain will lead us to the greatest wealth and success imaginable.  Remember: when Job speaks in chapter seven, he speaks to God.  Job is not dead, and the greatest hope of humanity is still firmly in his sights.

Eliphaz, wittingly or unwittingly, underlines this very point.  Read from Job chapter four:

            Consider now: Who, being innocent, has ever perished?
                        Where were the upright ever destroyed?
            As I have observed, those who plow evil
                        and those who sow trouble reap it.
            At the breath of God they are destroyed;
                        at the blast of his anger they perish. (Verses 7-9)

Job lives, so Job is not evil – nor does Job seek evil ways.

So, if you are going through a desert time in your life physically or emotionally or spiritually, do not give up hope.  I firmly believe that we learn the most about ourselves and about our Lord when we go through desert times.  This time of testing too shall pass.  

Earnestly seek God, and do not automatically assume you have done evil to deserve this desert time.  Desert times are an opportunity to draw closer to the Lord, the source of all greatness, wealth and wisdom.  Yeah, desert still leads to dessert for those who cling to the Lord.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment