Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mining for Wisdom and Wealth; Job 28-29


May the mumbling commence!

Like most people in Hutchinson, Kansas, I live over a vast salt mine.  And salt is quite valuable because it comes in many forms and has many uses.  What wealth!  What wisdom!  Jesus tells us that we are the salt of the earth.  Are you the kind of salt that we use to make food tastier, preserve food, or regulate our body’s water levels?  Are you the kind of salt that relieves acne or helps a wound to heal?  

We are told to always season our conversations with salt.  Does this mean we need to always take a salt shaker with us wherever we go?  I don’t think so.  Read what Job has to say about mining for true wisdom and wealth in chapter twenty-eight:

            There is a mine for silver
                        and a place where gold is refined.
            Iron is taken from the earth,
                        and copper is smelted from ore.
            Man puts an end to the darkness;
                        he searches the farthest recesses
                        for ore in the blackest darkness. (Verses 1-3)

We go to great lengths to acquire silver and gold and copper.  Did you know the worth of the copper used to make a penny is worth more than a penny?!?  Yes, we dig huge holes to find precious materials for our daily use and to beautify our lives.  Don’t think so..?  Read more from chapter twenty-eight:

            But where can wisdom be found?
                        Where does understanding dwell?
            Man does not comprehend its worth;
                        it cannot be found in the land of the living.
            The deep says, “It is not in me”;
                        the sea says, “It is not with me.”
            It cannot be bought with the finest gold,
                        nor can its price be weighed in silver.
            It cannot be bought with the gold of Ophir,
                        with precious onyx or sapphires.
            Neither gold nor crystal can compare with it,
                        nor can it be had for jewels of gold.
            Coral and jasper are not worthy of mention;
                        the price of wisdom is beyond rubies.
            The topaz of Cush cannot compare with it;
                        it cannot be bought with pure gold. (Verses 12-19)

Where is wisdom and wealth, then?  Seek God and you will find it (Verse 23).  What will it look like, so I will know when I find it?  Read from chapter twenty-nine of Job:

            Whoever heard me spoke well of me,
                        and those who saw me commended me.
            because I rescued the poor who cried for help,
                        and the fatherless who had none to assist him.
            The man who was dying blessed me;
                        I made the widow’s heart sing.
            I put on righteousness as my clothing;
                        justice was my robe and turban.
            I was eyes to the blind
                        and feet to the lame.
            I was a father to the needy;
                        I took up the case of the stranger.
            I broke the fangs of the wicked
                        and snatched the victims from their teeth. (Verses 11-17)

Now, that is the gold standard of wisdom and wealth – to help the poor and the fatherless and the dying and the widowed and the blind and the lame and the needy and the stranger.  The wicked are frustrated when we do these things, and God is pleased.  All of these people would be pretty easy to take advantage of.  When we choose to protect the vulnerable rather than take advantage of these people – made in the image of God – we begin to find the true wisdom and wealth of the Lord.

Enough mumbling for now…  

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment