Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Spider's Web; Job 8-9


May the mumbling commence!

Job’s friend, Bildad, asks us to examine what we put our trust in.  Read Bildad’s word from Job chapter eight:

            While still growing and uncut,
                        they wither away like grass.
            Such is the destiny of all who forget God;
                        so perishes the hope of the godless.
            What he trusts in is fragile;
                        what he relies on is a spider’s web.
            He leans on his web, but it gives way;
                        he clings to it, but it does not hold. (Verses 12-15)

What it must feel like to wither away like grass!  It has been a little over a year since I thought about these words.  A year ago, we were in the clutches of a drought.  Not much has changed here in Kansas.  The weeds in my lawn are not but brown.  And, when my family went to Ohio for Christmastime, the bare ground showed us once again a lush green grass, only dormant because of the cold weather and the long nights of winter.

My heart goes out to Jud and his family as one of the many families in Kansas who rely on farming for their main source of income.  We need moisture!  And there is little moisture in the forecast.  God, I pray for rain or snow – and if it has to be ice to get moisture, then bring it on!  I trust in you, O God, to give us the moisture that we need to survive and thrive.

But to wither quicker than grass is the fate of all who forget God.  Why would you or I forget God?  Maybe because we are distracted by our fears and attracted to the tangible solutions that crop around us like mirages.  Placing our trust in anything or anyone else is placing our hope upon a spider’s web.  Though the strands may be strong for their width, most of us know how it is to walk through a spider’s web.  It makes us feel dirty and makes me wonder if I have a spider crawling on me.  For me, it’s a strongly negative and clear image in my mind.

But why does this drought continue?  I struggle with Job’s words in chapter nine:

            Although I am blameless,
                        I have no concern for myself;
                        I despise my own life.
            It is all the same; that is what I say,
                        “He destroys both the blameless and the wicked.”
            When a scourge brings sudden death,
                        he mocks the despair of the innocent.
            When a land falls into the hands of the wicked,
                        he blindfolds its judges.
                        If it is not he, then who is it? (Verses 21-24)

Job claims blamelessness only to turn and despise his life.  I wonder when I read this statement what relationship it might have to Jesus’ call to give up your life for His sake and to find new life.  You know, rather than seeking life as we know it.  God’s ways and thought are far above ours…

And what about when evil people thrive?  Is God’s hand in this?  Does God blindfold judges and politicians?  It is a presidential election year, and I am sad to say that I do not see a good choice in the offing.  Job seems to think that God blindfolds judges and politicians.  “Who, if not God?” Job says.  I want to cry out, “What about Satan and bribes and fame and fortune?”  The list can go on and on.  There are so many other things to blame blind judges and politicians on.  There are so many other things to blame our own myopic visions of the world around us.

Here is the truth about where to put our trust – not on Obama or Romney or any of the other Republican potential candidates.  Neither should we put our trust in the TEA Party or the Occupy Wall Street Movement.  All of these things are but spider’s webs.  Let us put our trust in God to keep our best interests in mind.  Even as we vote, regardless of which candidate wins, God is in control.  I rely upon God’s control, and I give thanks for it.

Enough mumbling for now…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment