Monday, June 6, 2011

Proverbial Post 11; Proverbs 31

May the mumbling commence!

Well, the last chapter of Proverbs (Chapter 30) came a day late in the chronological Bible that I am reading (at least in my view).  Yesterday, my wife and I celebrated seven years of wedded bliss.  I truly believe that I’ve been living in a dream world for these last seven years.  Sometimes, I fear that I will wake up alone someday.  I do not know what I would do without my wife.  She makes me a better person, a better Christian, and a better minister.  We sharpen each other as iron sharpens iron (Proverbs 27:17).

Anita (my wife) is not sure she likes the description of the wife of noble character from Proverbs 31.  Does being a wife of noble character mean getting little sleep?  Early to rise (Verse 15) and late to bed (Verse 18) is this wife.  Sometimes near sleepless nights are necessary, but they are not the rule.  I know that Anita has had short nights because of ministry and because of her role as mother and wife and daughter.

Anita may deny it, but I think she fits the bill of Proverbs 31 better than she thinks.  I saw it in the way she worked so hard this past week – preparing a sermon and being there for me and our son Micah (early in the morning when she is not at her best).  Read some verses from chapter 31:

            A wife of noble character who can find?
                        She is worth far more than rubies.
            Her husband has full confidence in her
                        and lacks nothing of value.
            She brings good not harm,
                        all the days of her life. (Verses 10-12)

            She watches over the affairs of her household
                        and does not eat the bread of idleness.
            Her children arise and call her blessed;
                        her husband also, and he praises her:
            Many women do noble things,
                        but you surpass them all.”
            Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
                        but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
            Give her the reward she has earned,
                        and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.  (Verses 27-31)

I have found her – a wife of noble character.  I praise you, Anita.  You surpass all other women in my life.  Yes, even my mother.  (Sorry, Mom I love you.  It is a near tie!)  I have full confidence in my wife.  I love her.  I praise the Lord that He has put her in my life.

Happy Anniversary, DEAR.

Enough mumbling for today…

Peace Out

No comments:

Post a Comment